Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ly6 budget build questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ly6 budget build questions.

I'm trying to replace a 5.3 in my truck with a ly6 that I bought as a basket case. Been reading a lot and it's a little overwhelming all the info and options here.
My block has been bored .030 over already but ill be ordering new Pistons, cam and springs.
Assuming stock deck and 823 heads that have not been milled. Does anyone know how much dish or valve relief is required? I'd like to add a torque cam but don't have one picked yet. Is there a general "safe" lift range?

Sorry so long and so many questions. I'm always learning, and likely have more questions! Any info appreciated.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

If you're ordering new pistons you can buy them with valve reliefs so piston to valve clearance wouldn't be an issue unless you go with a large cam. Lift is only one aspect to consider but you still have to look at duration. The valves are opening and closing at different rates as the piston is coming to top dead center and after top dead center so the valve may not be at full lift and still make contact with the piston. So in simple terms it's all up to valve timing events more than just lift.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:44 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by chev3600
I'm trying to replace a 5.3 in my truck with a ly6 that I bought as a basket case. Been reading a lot and it's a little overwhelming all the info and options here.
My block has been bored .030 over already but ill be ordering new Pistons, cam and springs.
Assuming stock deck and 823 heads that have not been milled. Does anyone know how much dish or valve relief is required? I'd like to add a torque cam but don't have one picked yet. Is there a general "safe" lift range?

Sorry so long and so many questions. I'm always learning, and likely have more questions! Any info appreciated.
If you're reusing the stock rockers, you want to keep the valve lift in the low .600" range. Too high, and the tip of the rocker can start to dig into the tip of the valve. Most "torque" cams are going to be short duration cams, so lift shouldn't be too high.

As mentioned, piston to valve clearance has little to do with the max lift number and more to do with the valve events when the piston is around TDC. Most aftermarket forged pistons will have pretty generous valve releifs, so clearance shouldn't be too much of a concern.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at the Texas Speed stage 3 Low Lift 216/220, .550/.550, it's offered in 112 and 114 lsa. I'll be using the truck intake. Is this a decent choice?
It's hard to find Pistons in my meager budget, still tons of options to search though. Speed pro has one that looks like it would work but it's a pressed pin.

Quick Reply: Ly6 budget build questions.