Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Quench question ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Quench question ?

Im about to embark on a blow through turbo carb set up on my LS3 (stock long block, except cam swap) and I would like to drop my compression a little. Ive always shied away from increasing head gasket thickness for fear of messing up mixture motion in the combustion chambers. I know the LS3 chambers are very efficient, so has anyone played with thicker gaskets to drop compression, and if so, did you have any issues with detonation from less quench area? Cometic has MLS gaskets up to .098 (almost twice as thick as stock .051 gaskets) that would drop my compression down to 9.5 to 1, from 10.7. That would be the simplest and cheapest way to drop my compression, but if it defeats the purpose by causing poor motion in the chambers.............................
Old 02-18-2016, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under boost the quench is not all that important. The turbo pressure does most the mixing for you. Your issue will fall in the light throttle no boost area. I know cometic makes those thick gaskets but it just seems like an easy way to get blow by. 9.5:1 is a pretty good target on pump gas but I'd be concerned about the thick gasket. I'd say run the .051" gasket and a meth kit or E-85. Once you have the cash have the bowls opened up or -cc pistons.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Your method to "R&R" the heads could work well if you dropped both valves, the exhaust more than the intake.
The chance to fit better a better exhaust valve, larger & stronger, is possible.
The chance to increase exhaust flow through porting is possible.
The chance to fit a thinner head gasket is possible and it will help the engine to be more detonation resistant.

Lance

Quick Reply: Quench question ?