Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls2 based 445 ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 462 Likes on 359 Posts

That camshaft is way to small for that engine size. You will never make the power you are wanting.
IVC is way too early and EVO is too late. Not a very good match. The IVC is good for a stock displacement LS2 engine! ( If camshaft is 4 degrees advanced which I assume would be)
You would want something with at least 10 degrees more duration on each end.
Ideally something like a 246/256 114 LSA +4 will get you there and you will need about 11:5.1-12:1 compression for this to work.
This will bring you closer to your goal and still drive well if you have a good tuner.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CattleAc
No kidding on the three...I have one that's a sophomore in college. The struggle is real...keep up the fight though, I'm thinking about an S-10 for my next project. Can't wait to see yours on the road.
Yes, defiantly was a struggle, fortunately we managed to keep her all payed off as she went, and I feel very fortunate that she kept out of trouble and stayed on target,
she had her career job waiting on her when she finished school, I am very proud of her.
S10's are fun to drive when they have a little power with them, and everybody hates getting beat by a little pickup. The short time I had my last one running it was a blast,
put all the tubular control arms, big sway bar, big brakes, quick ratio steering box, caltracs, it was a blast to drive for sure, I think you would have fun with it.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Damn, i hear that it goes fast. I have a 529r plan for my 3yr old son right now. Only 10k in it, but im trying put at least 3500 in it per year minimum. I truly hope that ll be enough to get him up n running in College. He has to do his part aswell. Any other advice fellas?

Sorry for thread hi jack. I get nervous when the college talk starts up...
Man I feel ya, I was the same way, You'll be fine though, Sounds like you have a killer start, lots better than we did and we managed.

Last edited by slogo; 11-13-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
i have a hpr 468 that put down 638 for the previous owner on 91 california gas. same heads as you, 12:1 cr, but my cam is 20°+ bigger @ 050, and i have a mamo msd intake which is supposedly worth some power over a fast. i drive mine as primary transportation and its been fine.
good luck, looks a nice setup.
So you are using Factory LS7 heads? I have been concerned about using them, with all the dropping valve issues I read about, I sent them to WCCH and he said he did everything he could
to make them right, hopefully they hold up, I have entertained the thought of just getting some 245 or better cathedral ports and just accepting whatever
they give, I have a cathedral fast LSXRT for cathedral is why not LS3, who knows, Ill probably just see what happens with the LS7's and check them way too often.
You drive it as a daily? Ill bet thats a blast
Old 11-13-2019, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bortous
That camshaft is way to small for that engine size. You will never make the power you are wanting.
IVC is way too early and EVO is too late. Not a very good match. The IVC is good for a stock displacement LS2 engine! ( If camshaft is 4 degrees advanced which I assume would be)
You would want something with at least 10 degrees more duration on each end.
Ideally something like a 246/256 114 LSA +4 will get you there and you will need about 11:5.1-12:1 compression for this to work.
This will bring you closer to your goal and still drive well if you have a good tuner.
Yeah I really dont have a # I'm chasing so I'll just see what happens with this cam, wouldn't hurt my feelings if I decide to put a different cam in it later, I can have the
engine out in a few hours, and I kinda like swapping stuff out every now and then.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

i have a hpr 468 that put down 638 for the previous owner. i drive mine as primary transportation and its been fine.

I have to give big props to anyone that daily's something that has an $8,000 short block in it...
Old 11-14-2019, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 534 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
So you are using Factory LS7 heads? I have been concerned about using them, with all the dropping valve issues I read about, I sent them to WCCH and he said he did everything he could
to make them right, hopefully they hold up, I have entertained the thought of just getting some 245 or better cathedral ports and just accepting whatever
they give, I have a cathedral fast LSXRT for cathedral is why not LS3, who knows, Ill probably just see what happens with the LS7's and check them way too often.
You drive it as a daily? Ill bet thats a blast
yeah they are factory heads. i was a little concerned also, but i spoke with anthony at hpr and he wasnt concerned at all and even though ive built lots of motors and been doing this a long time, i don't hesitate to believe he knows far more than i ever will.
after reading around more, i think part of the ls7 problems(heads and rods) is the z06 oil cooler in the early models, the oil never gets warm enough to properly lubricate so over time it shows problems. i never see mine get past 190 but most of the time its 140-150 and supposedly it need to be 200+. im about to install a thermostat, but a lot of guys delete it or use a zr1 'warmer'
Old 11-14-2019, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

I have to give big props to anyone that daily's something that has an $8,000 short block in it...
trust me its like a dream come true, ive been driving shitboxes my whole life and finally decided to get a payment and tripped over an amazing deal on a complete car someone else invested a lot of time, money and care into.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

yeah they are factory heads. i was a little concerned also, but i spoke with anthony at hpr and he wasnt concerned at all and even though ive built lots of motors and been doing this a long time, i don't hesitate to believe he knows far more than i ever will.
after reading around more, i think part of the ls7 problems(heads and rods) is the z06 oil cooler in the early models, the oil never gets warm enough to properly lubricate so over time it shows problems. i never see mine get past 190 but most of the time its 140-150 and supposedly it need to be 200+. im about to install a thermostat, but a lot of guys delete it or use a zr1 'warmer'
Last I heard, one of the head honchos at Comp Cams said that it was the OEM valves causing the problem. During the surface finish process, there was a step that was left out, probably to cut corners, which resulted in a finish that caused excessive wear on the guides. It got fixed on the later model heads, but the early LS7 valves should be replaced.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Why do you say this? Is it just because $$$$$ or a reliability thing? Curious because I plan to drive mine like I stole it as much as I can.

I haven't read this about the oil thing, I won't have any oil cooler so maybe it won't be an issue. I Hope!

Originally Posted by psicko
Last I heard, one of the head honchos at Comp Cams said that it was the OEM valves causing the problem. During the surface finish process, there was a step that was left out, probably to cut corners, which resulted in a finish that caused excessive wear on the guides. It got fixed on the later model heads, but the early LS7 valves should be replaced.
Well thats a little refreshing to hear, I got my heads off of Ebay from CBM and they tried machining the Titanium Valves and put different kinds of valves and tried to pass them
off as a matched set, oh well dont want to go there, I'll get a warning for speaking negatively about a vendor, but I did replace all valves with new Titanium intakes and Ferrea exhaust, and WCCH
did the tumble finish or polish, whatever can't remember now its been awhile, so hopefully all goes well with them.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do you say this? Is it just because $$$$$ or a reliability thing? Curious because I plan to drive mine like I stole it as much as I can.

No, I'm just always impressed with someone who has (what would be to me) A $HIT LOAD of money in an engine combination, and beats on it like I would (again, if I had the bucks) instead of it being a trailer "queen" or a dyno princess just for bragging rights...
The following 2 users liked this post by CattleAc:
Che70velle (11-15-2019), G Atsma (11-17-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

No, I'm just always impressed with someone who has (what would be to me) A $HIT LOAD of money in an engine combination, and beats on it like I would (again, if I had the bucks) instead of it being a trailer "queen" or a dyno princess just for bragging rights...
AKA, someone who spends the big bucks on an engine and then USES IT! As it should be.... lol
The following 3 users liked this post by G Atsma:
AINT SKEERED (11-15-2019), JF74chevelle (11-19-2019), rkupon1 (11-16-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I understand that. I Always get concerned when I hear something about the LS7 heads or 4.100 stroke, or something of the sort. When I first started gathering parts
for this I had 2 thoughts either do this or get a crate engine, and then when I hear something negative or whatever I tell myself why didn't I just get a crate engine.
Money would have been about the same for what I have and a LSA crate, but with the direction I went if something goes south I can only blame myself
and thats much easier than feeling I got ripped off and trying to get satisfaction from some company. So I have to keep telling myself I did the right thing.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I understand that. I had 2 thoughts either do this or get a crate engine, and then when I hear something negative or whatever I tell myself why didn't I just get a crate engine.
So I have to keep telling myself I did the right thing.

I think you definitely "did the right thing"...You'll get a ton more satisfaction out of doing it yourself. It looks like you have some top notch parts procured for your build. You also have a few of the best minds on here interested and willing to help with advice. (Think Darth, Jake, Mavn, KCS) Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on the "1.5hp/ci" number. with #3300 and a T56, it's gonna' be a fun project.
G Atsma (11-17-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

i had similar concerns and after talking to HPR about the expected longevity of the 468, i was very happy. i would have been ok having to do a refresh every couple years but it sounds like this thing should be fine with street duty for a LOT of miles.

as for the ls7 head issue, im far from any kind of expert but ive read a lot the past few months and it sounds like a bunch of issues all contribute. the hollow stems on the valves were not consistent so there were thin areas and they broke. the valve guides wear out, im still not sure ive come across a reason that everyone agrees on. the z06 oil cooler is something ive found recently and it makes a lot of sense to me to be a contributor considering the nature of most z06 owners/drivers(low mile cars, short drives occasionally, etc). it also seems that lately now that more and more ls7s are gaining miles, the rods are eating themselves.
in the end, i almost didnt get an ls7 at all, but i got lucky with the hpr one and i feel like it has solved all the ls7 problems.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

would be a heck of a waste of an incredible engine to just keep it on the sidelines and never get exercise. my only problem with it is i dont get to drive it as much as i want to. i come up with reasons to go run errands i dont need to do
AINT SKEERED (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I come up with reasons to go run errands i dont need to do
You too, huh? LOL
Old 11-19-2019, 05:09 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

would be a heck of a waste of an incredible engine to just keep it on the sidelines and never get exercise. my only problem with it is i dont get to drive it as much as i want to. i come up with reasons to go run errands i dont need to do
Get a dragy. Then you can take it out for no prep test hits.
AINT SKEERED (11-19-2019)

Quick Reply: ls2 based 445 ???