Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

N/A L76 Rebuild Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016 | 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Default N/A L76 Rebuild Suggestions

My 09 L76 has developed the characteristic lifter tap and now a mild rod knock. So I'm going to rebuild it, the plan is to keep it N/A. I don't need a boosted daily. I have a cam already from another engine I plan to throw in simply because I already have it. (Save $ Why not?) Goin for an overbore while everything is apart as well. I'll give a few big item part numbers so you can get an idea.

MLE-LS1314030F04 - pistons
SCA-66100927 - rods
CCA-54-426-11 - cam
NAL-88958758 - heads

The reason I'm asking for suggestions on this is because I kinda need a little advise on the parts combination. 450fwhp is doable perhaps, but maybe not with this combo. If I'm dumping $$$ into this, I want something for it. I'm not 100% certain, but my piston, rod, and head combo puts my compression at just barely 10:1 with a .040 compressed gasket. With a .030 gasket its at 10.2:1.... Still lower than stock advertised 10.4:1. The pistons, if my deck height is stock are going to be .015 in the hole. I could get a 6.125 rod, but then im .010 out of the hole... What is minimum recommended head - deck clearance anyway!!??

With a budget of 4k, I don't have a lot of wiggle room for a bunch of machining. I'm stretching for the overbore. I still have to get this junk tuned ($550), and I have to pay for shop space in my circumstances ($300 for 20 days). Time is of the essence, the longer I wait the worse this is going to get. It's my only car atm, so waiting months to save more cash is kinda not an option. (takes me forever to save money)

Next is the head/cam combo. I know these heads are heralded as one of the best bang for the buck heads on the market. But they are pretty big. I've looked at other pre packaged combos said to produce 500hp and they run a much smaller 212-225cc intake runner than the 275cc I'm lookin at. (funny thing they have smaller chambers too than these LS3 lugs) I'm not really familiar with flow dynamics, but it would seem to me that while these heads are affordable, they may be a bit much for this build? Kinda like a fan into a hallway instead of a fan in pipe... I wont have any air velocity with such huge runners I guess? Not to mention the cam I have is pretty wimpy at only 222/224 @ .05... These heads seem better for a high rpm kinda build, not my low/mid range daily.

Or Should I just stop whining and do it?

Quick Reply: N/A L76 Rebuild Suggestions