Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L76 dieing. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L76 dieing. Need help.

Hello. Been trying to find a definite answer about this idea I have with no luck.

I have a gen 3 lq9 6.0 in my garage I bought for a swap, but haven't had to time to do that project. The lq9 isn't complete mainly heads and short block, harness and ecm. I acquired a 2008 silverado vortecmax recently. It is running at 12 psi oil pressure at idle and barely tops 40 psi at 4k rpm. I think it's got bad cam bearings.

My question is would it be possible to swap the lq9 block for the l76 block and get the silverado back up and running. That low oil pressure has me worried to run the l76 too much. If it can be done what would I need to do other than use a afm delete kit, and tune the ecm in the truck.

Any help or advice would be helpful. Thank you for your responses.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like it should bolt up.

Your problem will be the reluctor on the crank. The L76 is 58x whereas the LQ9 should be 24x. The truck with the L76 will expect a 58x crank signal. I know Lingenfelter makes a box(~$250; TRG-002) that converts a 58x signal to be used in an earlier(24x) vehicle but I have found no evidence of a device that will allow the older engine in a newer vehicle. Perhaps worth your time to call Lingenfelter to see if there is some way to run the box in reverse. I am doubtful but it's free to ask.

Now if you truly meant just swap the bare blocks, that's doable though a lot of work. I think your primary issue will be knock sensors being in the valley on the gen III and outboard on gen IV engines but there are some spots on the side of most gen III blocks that can be tapped to the right thread.

Last edited by Mercier; 02-27-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: L76 dieing. Need help.