Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

24x and 48x tuning

Old 03-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24x and 48x tuning

Hi, I have a question about 24x and 48x, actually it's probably going to be a few questions. Or at least turn into a few questions. But I have a 4.8 out of an 07 Silverado, it doesn't have dod or any of that, but I'm wanting to swap it into a 94 f body. The plan was to buy a wrecked 98-02 an get the wiring harness, ecu, and everything else I would need, k member, oil pan, intake, assesories and so on. I don't want to use the 5.7 ls1. But I want to turn this 4.8 to a 5.3 flat top piston, with the Pistons out of the 4.8. I have found a few 03-04 LM7 for sale around my place for a couple hundred dollars (most of them taken apart but completely there) that I could get the crank and rods out of and use them in the 4.8. My question is, do I need a crank out of a similar year 5.3? Or can I use one out of an LM7? If I can use one out of an LM7 what do I do about the crank position sensor and the difference between the style of reluctor wheel? Timing is where I run out of knowledge on these engines. I believe the ls1 uses the 24x like what would be on the lm7. I just don't know if I need to change sensors, or what I need to do. please understand I know there are better ways of doing things, or cheaper ways. But this is the way I have chose, so please don't give me any crap about it.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

98-02 LS1 ecu takes 24x wheel. Either swap reluctor wheels or buy another crank. Why not just do a 6.0 considering you are redoing the motor anyway? Also swap crank sensors. Black is 24x

Some truck blocks will need to be drilled/tapped for 1 of the Fbody accessory bolt hole.

Last edited by gnx7; 03-05-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Ok, you either have a 24 tooth system or a 52.
You need to make sure things match up.
things being : PCM, Reluctor wheel on crank, and the crank sensor. You can not mix and match these.
Ie: 411 pcm will not work on a 52 tooth reluctor.

You can change wheels on cranks - since it sounds we are building a motor from parts.

my advice: find a 411 pcm (24 tooth) and go from there.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@gnx7 I was not aware of the assesory bolt hole that might need to be drilled and tapped. as for the 6.0 I don't know, I love em and would love to have one but that's one thing I keep going over in my head is, do I want the power of the 6.0, or do I want a really healthy small cube motor. So that is one of the only parts that I'm not sure of. But even if I did go the 6.0 route I'm still in the same boat with the questions. But thanks to you guys I know what I have to do. Thanks again for the tip of drilling and tapping that hole.

@agformula02 hey thank you for the correction, it currently has 52x but the plan was to do a 5.3 crank from a Silverado that was older, like 99-03. They have 24x, anything 04 on up it was toss up on when reluctor wheel it had. Then switch out the sensor, and call it good. And yes I was planning on using the 411 computer. So I now know what needs to happen. You have some good info that I'll be able to use, thank you.

Thank you both for not judging my newbie question and just answering my question, it helps a lot and is much appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 24x and 48x tuning