Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Pre-Runner Engine Build

Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Runner Engine Build

Hello guys i've been looking around this forum for months now and finally decided to join. I recently bought an 06 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L 2WD to turn into a pre-runner it's something i've been wanting to do for a couple years now and finally saved up for. Instead of just grabbing 6.0L LQ9 and dropping it into my truck i've decided that I want to go ahead do a full engine build.

Would you guys reccommend starting with a cast iron engine block or an aluminum block? It will be in a truck so I was going to go with a cast iron from Summit. Once I put a long travel kit on the truck I don't think the weight will significantly affect performance. I'm looking to push 500+ HP with this build.

Here's the block I was considering..
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12609999

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I've been doing a lot of research but most of the threads I find are about these builds for cars not trucks. It won't be strictly for off-road it'll also be driven around the city too. Any input or reccommendations are welcome and appreciated. Figured I would start off with this question before I get into anything else, feel free to recommend anything (pistons, cam, heads) you don't have to get too in depth but it would be nice to know why you recommend the block you do and for whatever reasons.

Thanks guys I hope to hear back from some you.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

It might be better and more costs effective to get a built shortblock. I think a couple of the sponsors sell budget assembled short blocks with a warranty.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
It might be better and more costs effective to get a built shortblock. I think a couple of the sponsors sell budget assembled short blocks with a warranty.
I will take a look at the sponsors right when I get off work. I just liked the idea of putting my own engine together but I'm not opposed to anything especially if I could save some time and money.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Teching In

As someone who just did this - if I had to do it over again I would buy from a known vendor short block and tear it down and confirm the build and reassemble. Piecing things together is fun but time consuming. Trust me that the payoff is worth it, but it took me darn near almost 3yrs to get it together haha

Oh and go as many cubes as you can as built as you can afford. Prerunners go through hell and back and you want as many bald eagles under the hood that you can get.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ken in AZ
As someone who just did this - if I had to do it over again I would buy from a known vendor short block and tear it down and confirm the build and reassemble. Piecing things together is fun but time consuming. Trust me that the payoff is worth it, but it took me darn near almost 3yrs to get it together haha

Oh and go as many cubes as you can as built as you can afford. Prerunners go through hell and back and you want as many bald eagles under the hood that you can get.
Alright sounds good glad to get some honest feedback on this issue thank you. I was actually looking at Mullenix Engines before I wanted to start a build but people told me it would be an issue to bolt one in to replace my 4.8??
Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Teching In

This is the engine I was considering before..

http://www.mullenixracingengines.com...-short-block-2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pre-Runner Engine Build