Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stock LSA block limits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock LSA block limits?

i recently dropped a valve in my 08z and planning on either getting an aftermarket block like RHS but don't like the price tag. Instead was thinking about getting an LSA block and some turbos. I Don't want an iron block for the car is gonna be tracked and need the weight savings. Looking to do turbos and track around the 700whp mark and maybe touch 1khp for some drag racing occasionally.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few people pushing 1k HP with the stock block. I would say that may be the limits.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

My LS3 block has been handling 932 to the wheels and the LSA is supposed to be stronger with oil squirters so I wouldn't be too worried.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

LSA block will handle 1k with ease, LS9 even more if you can get one, but they're a lot more expensive.

Even LS2 block will have no problem, but as others mention the oil squirters are worth having.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
LSA block will handle 1k with ease, LS9 even more if you can get one, but they're a lot more expensive.

Even LS2 block will have no problem, but as others mention the oil squirters are worth having.
Sweet I just picked up an ls9 for 2500$ so I'm going that route!
Old 05-16-2017, 08:11 PM
9 Second Club

Good buy. I believe they have billet and pinned main caps already, and of course 12mm head bolt threads vs the usual 11mm.
And oil squirters, and the block is a stronger base material.

All good !

I believe gnx7 likes them too
Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinchargedlsx
Sweet I just picked up an ls9 for 2500$ so I'm going that route!
Damn that's a steal. Congrats!!!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I had an LS9 block with stock $100 cast crank making over 1000rwhp for years (Compstar rods/wiseco pistons) and over 1200rwhp at times as well. I finally killed the crank (snapped clean thru the rear rod journal) when showing off and doing a 1-4th rolling burnout... and it finally hooked up showing well over 120mph on the speedo going maybe 60mph. Luckily it only took out the crank and 2 rods.

I now have a K1 forged crank in there for piece of mind. Make sure upon assembled the squirters clear the bottom of the pistons. Some need minor notching.

My engine has MAST LS3 heads with a stock LS3 intake/90mm Cable Holley TB. 160lb injectors with Holley Dominator EFI. The Dart Pro1 LS3 heads would also be a good choice.... but at your power levels in all honesty you could run ported LSA heads and be fine. Under 1000rwhp I don't even think great heads are necessary.... but the better casting of the LSA would be nice.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice find on the LS9 block, was that just the bare block and caps? I am looking to do the same thing as you 700-800hp for street and tracking and mid 900 range if I 1/4 mile it. I went with the LSA block for the oil squirters, nodular mains and better material. My block and 4 bolt heads even with mail and head studs will be my limiting factor but I have seen the LSA blocks hold 1000 if everything else is setup properly. I probably went overkill on the rotating assembly with a 3.625 Callies Magnum crank, Lunati Pro Mod rods, Wiseco -11 cc Pistons with .200 wall DLC pins. These should be good to levels beyond what I can push the block to.

Are you going to run a stock stroke crank? Even if you do be aware that some companies Pistons will still need to be clearanced to clear the oil squirters. Good luck with your LS9 build.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ondatrack
Nice find on the LS9 block, was that just the bare block and caps? I am looking to do the same thing as you 700-800hp for street and tracking and mid 900 range if I 1/4 mile it. I went with the LSA block for the oil squirters, nodular mains and better material. My block and 4 bolt heads even with mail and head studs will be my limiting factor but I have seen the LSA blocks hold 1000 if everything else is setup properly. I probably went overkill on the rotating assembly with a 3.625 Callies Magnum crank, Lunati Pro Mod rods, Wiseco -11 cc Pistons with .200 wall DLC pins. These should be good to levels beyond what I can push the block to.

Are you going to run a stock stroke crank? Even if you do be aware that some companies Pistons will still need to be clearanced to clear the oil squirters. Good luck with your LS9 build.
For only 900hp, in no way will 4 studs, the block or any other part of that be a limiting factor.

There seem to be some different squirter designs.

I had these fitted to my LS2 block, ( 3.825" stroke ) and I had to clearance the skirts.

http://store.katechengines.com/ls9-p...ters-p253.aspx

These are another....which might be a little more piston friendly or stroker friendly ?

http://store.katechengines.com/katec...irter-p74.aspx

With my stroker crank, even the main balance weights touched the allen key head of the bolt for the squirter in a couple of locations. No idea if an OEM setup would do that though
And the side of the rods also skimmed past the metal pipe of the squirter.

Basically...dont try and do a stroker and the first type of oil squirter above !! If it had been a 4" stroke there would have been no chance.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Your right for 900 hp everything should be fine with the proper tune. I may have phrased it wrong, what I was alluding to is that should I decide to push the limits well beyond that level, which would mean a completely different turbo setup, my block would probably have issues or I would lift a head before I have an issue with the rotating assembly. Again my current turbo system will limit me too somewhere in the 900s on E85 so the combo I am assembling should be just fine.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

yeah that's a brand new ls9 block with squirters and such. I'll be doing a dragon slayler 6.625 crank, Manley turbo tough I beams and Manley pistons with extreme duty wrist pins. Don't know if I'm doing mast or Frankenstein heads yet. Tick custom grind cam and t&d shaft mount rockers ect. Thank you for your input!
Old 05-21-2017, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you are going to have a very stout setup. You may already know this but make sure you use the correct oil pump when using the blocks with oil squirters. At the least you want the GM 12612289 High volume pump or if going aftermarket you would use the Melling 10355 as you need a lot of volume to make up for the oil squirters. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you are going to have a very stout setup. You may already know this but make sure you use the correct oil pump when using the blocks with oil squirters. At the least you want the GM 12612289 High volume pump or if going aftermarket you would use the Melling 10355 as you need a lot of volume to make up for the oil squirters. Good luck.
gonna be running the daily dry sump setup! Thank you!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinchargedlsx
yeah that's a brand new ls9 block with squirters and such. I'll be doing a dragon slayler 6.625 crank, Manley turbo tough I beams and Manley pistons with extreme duty wrist pins. Don't know if I'm doing mast or Frankenstein heads yet. Tick custom grind cam and t&d shaft mount rockers ect. Thank you for your input!

Twinchargedlsx,

That build is going to be filthy. If you have any questions regarding anything related to your build just holler at me!

-Russ

Quick Reply: Stock LSA block limits?