Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

springs and rockers installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 06:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default springs and rockers installation

installed my vinci dual springs, hardened pushrods and yella terra 1.85 rockers.

removed the strut tower brace and engine cover

next up remove the coil packs

the rear bolt for the passenger side i used a 10mm gear wrench

to make the passenger side easier, i removed this 10mm nut holding the line that is over the coil pack

next up is removing the valve covers, rockers and pushrods. 8mm bolts hold the cover and rockers to the head. after that, remove the spark plug wires and plugs. 5/8" socket for the plugs.

take a brass type hammer and tap on the spring retainers to break the oil seal on the valve locks.

now install the vinci dual valve spring tool and cylinder air hose. the compressed air will hold the valves up while swapping the springs.

close up of the spring tool on the head

compress the springs until they are lower than the valve locks. i use a magnet to help remove them

once all four locks are removed, decompress the springs and remove the bar. remove the sprigs and retainers. now to pry up and pull the valve stem seal/spring seat combo off. i used a flat blade screwdriver and wedged on the seal and spring tool.

here is the oem valve seal

here are the replacements

with the spring kit, it comes with spring seats and valve stem seals install the seats and press the seals on until they bottom out. do this lightly. i used a 13mm socket and hammer to seat the seals

now put the springs and retainers on. use spring tool to compress the springs low enough to install the new locks. once done, slowly decompress the springs, ensuring the locks fit into the groove on the valve, until completely off the spring.

now 7 more to go

Old 04-25-2018, 06:11 AM
10 Second Club

painted the valve covers

scuffed with red wool pad

painted

instructions say to soak the rockers in oil for at least one hour. been sitting overnight.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 AM
10 Second Club

finished up today. overall about 6 hours.

picture of the valve stem seals and spring seats installed

springs on

rockers and pushrods on. make sure to add some thick lube to the ends of the pushrods to prevent any galling on startup.

the rocker kit comes with thicker valve cover gaskets and spacer nuts to add to the valve cover bolts

valve covers on

coil packs back on

crank it up and make sure all is well. no valve cover leaks and major noises not there. if all is well, install cover and strut tower brace and be done.