Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Rate This Cam for a LSX 454

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 12:40 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by 20SS06

One of those “size matters” guys I see.
Do guys like you do this to increase post count?

I’m always going to be faster than you even if I run the engine without a cam LoL

Well considering my current build is a 222 duration cam on a 115. No im not a Size matters type of guy . But if were talking 454" Of cubes to fill. Yes. that's a baby *** cam. and one could be specd way better .
Old 12-26-2018, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavn
Well considering my current build is a 222 duration cam on a 115. No im not a Size matters type of guy . But if were talking 454" Of cubes to fill. Yes. that's a baby *** cam. and one could be specd way better .
Thank you for your opinion. I’m open to all kinds of suggestions.
Do you mean it’s undersized for the motor? Or just on the smaller end? The word ‘***’ confuses me.

What are you basing you answer on? Just because it’s a 454?
The LSX 454 actually comes with a 236/246 .648”/.648” 110LSA cam from the factory. My specs are almost identical minus the LSA.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
If you swapped that cam in, likely gain 15-20. Mainly from rpm. If you peak a few hundred rpm higher your HP number will be automatically higher. You might just as easily gain that from a better intake too. Depending on your runner length in your fast. Even swapping in the short runners might make a surprising difference. And less intrusive than a cam swap.
Please tell me that’s engine hp and not wheel hp
Old 12-26-2018, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Just bought the car last month so I’ve yet to know.

Compression is 11.5:1
then you should probably try it out a bit before you worry about a cam. Jus sayyin

You still need to say what trans(converter if auto)/gear/weight because that or any cam isn't a magician to your fastness. It's only 1 part of the puzzle. And one of the lesser important pieces imo. Because even if the cam is super duper and nothing matches it then you still have a turd. But if other stuff is in line you can still have a decent running car.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:18 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Thank you for your opinion. I’m open to all kinds of suggestions.
Do you mean it’s undersized for the motor? Or just on the smaller end? The word ‘***’ confuses me.

What are you basing you answer on? Just because it’s a 454?
The LSX 454 actually comes with a 236/246 .648”/.648” 110LSA cam from the factory. My specs are almost identical minus the LSA.
Small for the Cubic Inch.

My LS1 from thre factory came with 190 duration cam.

Its apples to oranges tho.

For a comparison.. My 416" motor , N/A setup runs a 251/259 .649 110 LSA cam. and its on the larger side for my cubes. But pulls to 7000 and makes 574 rwhp through a 9".
So its working great

Id do a 25x 26x Cam in a 454 . if I was going for Big N/A Power.

Just my $02
-Mavn
Old 12-26-2018, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
then you should probably try it out a bit before you worry about a cam. Jus sayyin

You still need to say what trans(converter if auto)/gear/weight because that or any cam isn't a magician to your fastness. It's only 1 part of the puzzle. And one of the lesser important pieces imo. Because even if the cam is super duper and nothing matches it then you still have a turd. But if other stuff is in line you can still have a decent running car.
It’s a C6 Z06 with a tr6060
Old 12-26-2018, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

What kind of racing you gonna do?

why with hold so much info? Do you honestly think the only thing that matters is the cam? Cause that's what it seems like.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:15 PM
Launching!

What kind of racing you gonna do?

why with hold so much info? Do you honestly think the only thing that matters is the cam? Cause that's what it seems like.
If you read my previous posts you would know that I already mentioned everything there. The car, trans, mods, type of racing, and all.

It will be mainly a street car. So straight line on the highway 95% of the time.

Of course I don’t think the cam is all that matters. Who does anyway? I just wanted others’ feedbacks as to whether I made the right choice or is there something that FAR exceeds my new cam specs in terms of power. Basically wondering if I made the right choice as well as trying to get knowledge from people who have already been through this.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Please tell me that’s engine hp and not wheel hp
Yes engine hp.

And hio is giving you good advice. Saying the same as chevelle and to a degree me. Your current cam is not bad. Are you leaving power on the table? Yes.

But for $1700 to swap the cam plus milling the heads for compression, that money might be better spent on the intake. And that way you dont sacrifice how nice it drives now.

For $1700 you could do a really nice lighter clutch and make a surprising change in how the car performs
Old 12-26-2018, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Yea....that and gear be way more of a change in acceleration than a a cam ever thought about being.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with Darth if Mid Length Runners were available for your FAST that would be the way to go.
Changing to a Mamo Motor Sports (MMS) Ported MSD would add 20-25 RWHP From
4500-6500 RPM with your current Cam with no cost in driveability save for giving up alittle
torque below 3000 RPM Perhaps, which is inconsequential in a C6 Vette for your purposes and
will give a ~300 RPM higher Peak and carry ~800 RPM further than the FAST.
The Harrop ITB set up would double the MMS MSD gains for closer to $5000 VS $2000
ballpark spitballing. The New Fast Tunnel Ram would split the difference 30-35 RWHP
But you would need to cut your hood or go custom.
My .02
Good Luck.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
I agree with Darth if Mid Length Runners were available for your FAST that would be the way to go.
Changing to a Mamo Motor Sports (MMS) Ported MSD would add 20-25 RWHP From
4500-6500 RPM with your current Cam with no cost in driveability save for giving up alittle
torque below 3000 RPM Perhaps, which is inconsequential in a C6 Vette for your purposes and
will give a ~300 RPM higher Peak and carry ~800 RPM further than the FAST.
The Harrop ITB set up would double the MMS MSD gains for closer to $5000 VS $2000
ballpark spitballing. The New Fast Tunnel Ram would split the difference 30-35 RWHP
But you would need to cut your hood or go custom.
My .02
Good Luck.
I don't know why I thought the Fast 102 was the best intake on the market. Thanks for the insight. I have actually done a lot of research on the Mammofied MSD intakes and the gains are stupendous even from his ported Fast 102's. I would imagine going from a stock Fast 102 to Mamo's Ported MSD's would net an even higher gain in whp. The Harrop ITB looks heaven sent but no one in his right mind would buy an intake for $5000. Not me at least.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:54 AM
Launching!

Just an update. I am actually extremely happy with the cam now. Met up with a few friends last night and did some back to back street racing on the highway (don't worry the roads were empty). The two cars I went up against were 2014+ Ford Mustang GT's Twin Turbo, heads, cams, headers, intake, cai. I suspect one of them was running race gas. You can definitely tell from the smell.
Anyways starting from a roll on 2nd, around 5000rpm, we got into it, I would take the jump, and then slowly one of the mustangs would pull away from me and just stopped pulling at about one to one half of a car ahead of me. The other mustang couldn't catch up as he was a second late in getting on it. Keep in mind the gas tank was 3/4 full and I myself weigh 220lbs and I had my brother in the passenger seat. He is also around 210lbs.

I was in shocked. I just wanted to test my car against some well known street cars here as that's the only way to tell how powerful your car truly is. The butt dyno doesn't tell much. I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up at all and that at minimum they would give me at least 8 car lengths or something. Everyone was in pure awe.
These guys are FI (twin turbo) one is 16 psi the other is 18 psi and I'm pure NA. one is pushing 680+whp and the other 700+whp.

We tried racing again and again, sometimes they would pull away a bit further when the adrenaline took the best of me and I wasn't shifting properly. But when the shift is on point they would not go any further than one to one half of a car's length.
One of them has always been a Z06 lover, he owned around 5 c6 z06's at different times before this twin turbo mustang. Soon as we pulled over he was like "now that's a real man's car not that (points to his mustang)".

Now I'm thinking what would've happened if I raced with a quarter tank of gas and had no passenger with me, AND shifted better. Adrenaline is a helluva a drug.
I only had this car for almost 2 months and rarely get on it to get used to WOT shifting. But from now on I will definitely be doing drills to improve my shifting. As I noticed they would only pull away when I shift.
For now, I am absolutely happy. Next mod would definitely be @Tony Mamo 's ported MSD LS7 intake, an LSX Super Pro Vacuum Pump Kit from GZ Motorsports, and then mayyyybe possibly a 100 shot of NOS.
Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share the love.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2018, 03:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Next mod would definitely be @Tony Mamo 's ported MSD LS7 intake, an LSX Super Pro Vacuum Pump Kit from GZ Motorsports, and then mayyyybe possibly a 100 shot of NOS.

Thanks
Happened to see this.....so my ported MSD is hands down the best HP per dollar mod going in an LS7 platform (30-35 RWHP gains are the average....more aggressive (or well thought out milder builds) have seen 40+)

Wanted alert you to the fact that MSD raised prices again at the beginning of December (when they typically do) and Im still offering them for my 2018 prices along with a Holiday discount as well

If you had planned on getting it reasonably soon consider getting me a deposit before the ball drops in New York in a few days!

Email me for specifics if you have any questions or would like to get one going!

tony@mamomotorsports.com

Hope everyone is having an enjoyable Holiday week.....cant believe another year has gone by!

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 12-29-2018, 03:31 AM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Happened to see this.....so my ported MSD is hands down the best HP per dollar mod going in an LS7 platform (30-35 RWHP gains are the average....more aggressive (or well thought out milder builds) have seen 40+)

Wanted alert you to the fact that MSD raised prices again at the beginning of December (when they typically do) and Im still offering them for my 2018 prices along with a Holiday discount as well

If you had planned on getting it reasonably soon consider getting me a deposit before the ball drops in New York in a few days!

Email me for specifics if you have any questions or would like to get one going!

tony@mamomotorsports.com

Hope everyone is having an enjoyable Holiday week.....cant believe another year has gone by!

Cheers,
Tony
Email sent
Old 12-29-2018, 10:50 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

I love me a happy ending. The MMS ported MSD would be a great upgrade to your C6 and will fit under your hood without modification. I run one myself, along with Tony’s complete MMS 265 top end setup on my 434”
You will not be disapointed. I’ve watched many street racing videos from your part of the world 20SS06, and quite frankly, you guys are crazy with the speeds I see you guys running. Be safe out there.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Agreed. Having flow tested a Tony Mamo ported MSD intake I think that's an awesome upgrade for your 454 over the Fast.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Just an update. I am actually extremely happy with the cam now. Met up with a few friends last night and did some back to back street racing on the highway (don't worry the roads were empty). The two cars I went up against were 2014+ Ford Mustang GT's Twin Turbo, heads, cams, headers, intake, cai. I suspect one of them was running race gas. You can definitely tell from the smell.
Anyways starting from a roll on 2nd, around 5000rpm, we got into it, I would take the jump, and then slowly one of the mustangs would pull away from me and just stopped pulling at about one to one half of a car ahead of me. The other mustang couldn't catch up as he was a second late in getting on it. Keep in mind the gas tank was 3/4 full and I myself weigh 220lbs and I had my brother in the passenger seat. He is also around 210lbs.

I was in shocked. I just wanted to test my car against some well known street cars here as that's the only way to tell how powerful your car truly is. The butt dyno doesn't tell much. I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up at all and that at minimum they would give me at least 8 car lengths or something. Everyone was in pure awe.
These guys are FI (twin turbo) one is 16 psi the other is 18 psi and I'm pure NA. one is pushing 680+whp and the other 700+whp.

We tried racing again and again, sometimes they would pull away a bit further when the adrenaline took the best of me and I wasn't shifting properly. But when the shift is on point they would not go any further than one to one half of a car's length.
One of them has always been a Z06 lover, he owned around 5 c6 z06's at different times before this twin turbo mustang. Soon as we pulled over he was like "now that's a real man's car not that (points to his mustang)".

Now I'm thinking what would've happened if I raced with a quarter tank of gas and had no passenger with me, AND shifted better. Adrenaline is a helluva a drug.
I only had this car for almost 2 months and rarely get on it to get used to WOT shifting. But from now on I will definitely be doing drills to improve my shifting. As I noticed they would only pull away when I shift.
For now, I am absolutely happy. Next mod would definitely be @Tony Mamo 's ported MSD LS7 intake, an LSX Super Pro Vacuum Pump Kit from GZ Motorsports, and then mayyyybe possibly a 100 shot of NOS.

Thanks
good stuff. But your expectations was way low. There are no na coyotes that should run with your car if all is right with both from a roll.......none.

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Agreed. Having flow tested a Tony Mamo ported MSD intake I think that's an awesome upgrade for your 454 over the Fast.
yea and with the extended rpm range the msd offers he will easily be in front of that boosted coyote.

Then add gear with a light clutch for a knock out blow.