Need some help... LS3 build. - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need some help... LS3 build.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Default Need some help... LS3 build.

Ok so Iím in the process of finishing up with ordering stuff for the build and was wondering what everyoneís opinions are on a few things. So first order some Mast Medium bore Ls3 heads bare. Only reason for doing was because I wasnít too sure on which valves I should go with. Setup with be a rod/piston Ls3, Holley hi-ram, and a cam that was specís By Steven at Cam Motion. The cam is a LLSR and as we talked about the setup he said it would peak around 7500-7600. Iíve heard a lot of people say run the titanium valves and others who are completely against it. The car will be driven on the street when itís nice out. So whatís everyoneís opinion on valves?

Next question, has anybody ran into any issues with running an electric water pump for an ls1 on the street? Iíd like to go with an electric pump and never really heard of any issues out of them, but also couldnít find a definite answer either. Some had luck and some did not.

Thanks! ,
Old 12-27-2018, 05:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

David Reher of Reher-Morrison comments on Titanium Valves.

David Reher Tech Talk #76 Titanium valves

"Another myth is that titanium valves arenít durable. I remind racers that the production Corvette Z06 and ZR1 have titanium valves, as do several other high-end sports cars. If Chevrolet is willing to put a warranty on a street motor thatís designed to last 100,000 miles with titanium valves, I donít think that racers need to worry about the longevity of titanium valves. If I had a hot street motor, Iíd run titanium valves without hesitation.

As with most products, there are differences in the quality of titanium valves on the market. Without going into specifics, Iíll just note that you usually get what you pay for. Itís my strong belief that valves are not the place to try to save a few dollars in a racing engine."

FWIW - From what I understand talking to my cylinder head guru friends:

1) Not all titanium is equal. There are a lot of near worthless cheaper titanium parts like retainers. The better titanium parts like quality retainers and quality valves are more expensive.

2) Titanium intake valve is the biggest benefit because The smaller exhaust valve is already fairly light.

3) Del West is a quality provider of titanium valves

4) The Ti valve should be coated for longevity

5) New valve seats should be soft, material as Nodular Iron, Bronze, or Beryllium- Copper, all heat treated to correct hardness.

It's my understanding that GM heads used in flex fuel application's have different valve seat material to hold up to the E85. I've not been able to confirm that or find out what material is used. In any case Wegner used Del West Titanium Valves in their spec NASCAR LS2 engines with 243/799 heads.

Regarding electric water pumps, the shop doing the LS swap on my 91 RS strongly discouraged using an electric water pump because the car is a driver that does 1,300 mile trips and sometimes gets stuck in stop and go traffic for 2-3 hours. For street / strip or race oriented cars/trucks the shop really like electric water pumps.

One of my friends did an EWP and ended up having to rewire it and use heavier gauge wire and a relay set up because after a while in stop & go traffic it pulled too much current and wiring got hot. His car didn't have issues after the rewire.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 12-28-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the response man! I was looking into the Del West valves. I just wasn’t for sure if 1) it was ok to be running with them on a street/strip car and 2) wanted to get real word experience I guess.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zboy2012 View Post
Thanks for the response man! I was looking into the Del West valves. I just wasnít for sure if 1) it was ok to be running with them on a street/strip car and 2) wanted to get real word experience I guess.
I would suggest you contanct wegner or a local nascar engine builder for a used set of ti valves. The race teams change them constantly for no reason. I picked up a 2 race old set of del west valves for next to nothing with tool steel retainers and keepers.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

BTW - I have a set of used Wegner Nascar 799 heads with the used Del West titanium Valves. Haven't checked all of them but they seem to be in good condition for used items.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sccagt1racer View Post
I would suggest you contanct wegner or a local nascar engine builder for a used set of ti valves. The race teams change them constantly for no reason. I picked up a 2 race old set of del west valves for next to nothing with tool steel retainers and keepers.

Iíll be sure to look into that.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: