Notices
Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Hydro locked #1 cylinder

 
Old 01-02-2019, 08:28 PM
  #21  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
I’ve never seen a valve stem go up the intake. That’s a first for me personally.
Its impossible to put into words how fast everything moves around during an event like this. There will be witness marks on stuff that shouldn’t have them. Having said that, is there a mark on the bottom of the valve cover, directly above the suicidal intake valve by chance?
Nope, no damage at all to the valve cover.
lawrenq is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 08:31 PM
  #22  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 104
Default

Some more pictures with the heads off, looks like I wont have to get the cylinder resleeved.


c


lawrenq is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 08:40 PM
  #23  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
01CamaroSSTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 826
Default

It's ugly but it could have been worse.
01CamaroSSTx is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 10:40 PM
  #24  
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central Cal.
Posts: 9,480
Default

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx View Post
It's ugly but it could have been worse.
For a fact! Looks like the head got the worst of it.
G Atsma is online now  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 AM
  #25  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,300
Default

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx View Post
It's ugly but it could have been worse.
Definitely got off easy, I've seen the damage that it causes when they let go at 7,000+ rpm and it's not pretty.
I don't see any obvious signs of piston the valve contact prior to the valve breaking but I would double check piston to valve clearance when it gets put back together.

As far as the cause it could have be one of several, Usually it involves piston to valve contact but it can also be just plain ol fatigue. On race engines it seems to happen when you run to many rpms. Sometimes the cause is obvious like a missed shift or shifting into the wrong gear and over revving the engine.
Sure does suck but at least it's fixable and not a $60,000 engine lol
LLLosingit is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 08:42 AM
  #26  
KCS
Moderator
iTrader: (19)
 
KCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 8,335
Default

I’d be really interested to know what caused the valve to break with only 20 miles on it.
KCS is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 09:52 AM
  #27  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
01CamaroSSTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 826
Default

Originally Posted by KCS View Post
I’d be really interested to know what caused the valve to break with only 20 miles on it.
That was my thoughts as well.
01CamaroSSTx is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:03 PM
  #28  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by KCS View Post
I’d be really interested to know what caused the valve to break with only 20 miles on it.
The short block had 20 miles on it, I bought the heads used, had a local machine shop clean and pressure test them, and install the valve springs on them.
lawrenq is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:59 PM
  #29  
On The Tree
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 104
Default

I contacted the seller I bought the rocker arms from, turns out there are not stock and that they're aftermarket arms.

I've seen a thread in the past where a guy had a failure with the aftermarket ls3 intake rocker arm with low miles. I think that the rocker might have broke first, which pushed down on the retainer, which allowed the valves to drop into the cylinder
lawrenq is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 PM
  #30  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,300
Default

Originally Posted by lawrenq View Post
I contacted the seller I bought the rocker arms from, turns out there are not stock and that they're aftermarket arms.

I've seen a thread in the past where a guy had a failure with the aftermarket ls3 intake rocker arm with low miles. I think that the rocker might have broke first, which pushed down on the retainer, which allowed the valves to drop into the cylinder
Possible but not likely. Looks like the typical valve failure.
LLLosingit is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 PM
  #31  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by LLLosingit View Post
Possible but not likely. Looks like the typical valve failure.
Wow. Another story on broken l92 valves. I wonder how long i have until mine let go. I was going to have my heads ported by Texas speed. I guess I'll get them to install a new set of valves while they're at it
warriorpluto is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:32 PM
  #32  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
Darth_V8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: My own internal universe
Posts: 6,722
Default

Originally Posted by warriorpluto View Post
Wow. Another story on broken l92 valves. I wonder how long i have until mine let go. I was going to have my heads ported by Texas speed. I guess I'll get them to install a new set of valves while they're at it
I got a friend who had a L92 valve failure on the dyno recently. IDK what the deal is. Whatever it is, i have heard several say it is not affecting LS3 valves. no clue why one and not the other
Darth_V8r is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 PM
  #33  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,384
Default

So....where did the coolant come from if the cylinder sleeve is not damaged??
badazz81z28 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:40 PM
  #34  
Launching!
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 266
Default

The cylinder heads are pretty much “hollow” and you can see in one of the pics the valve head punctured into the coolant jacket.
s30.hybrid is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 05:15 AM
  #35  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Chocowinity NC
Posts: 73
Default

I'm at about the same mileage on my swap, makes me want to throw up to think about it.
NCDEERE is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 05:41 PM
  #36  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (40)
 
00pooterSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,357
Default

I was going to ask what brand the rockers are but see that was covered. There's some OE copies out there that break like yours did.

Sucks man but looks like maybe you can replace a head and a piston and be okay.
00pooterSS is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 PM
  #37  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (40)
 
00pooterSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,357
Default

Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
I’ve never seen a valve stem go up the intake. That’s a first for me personally.
Its impossible to put into words how fast everything moves around during an event like this. There will be witness marks on stuff that shouldn’t have them. Having said that, is there a mark on the bottom of the valve cover, directly above the suicidal intake valve by chance?

Man I have a good one in the shop right now, swapped the motor on a 4.6 ford 3 valve last week because one of the intake valves broke and the tulip somehow got wedged up and behind the other intake valve in the freaking port. Not sure how it got up and behind the other intake valve. Giant hole in the piston. No sign of the stem from the rocker. The rocker arm is trashed too.

There is something rattling around in the intake manifold, several somethings. I'm guessing it's the stem from the valve after seeing this thread.
00pooterSS is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:57 PM
  #38  
Teching In
 
dixiebandit69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS View Post
Man I have a good one in the shop right now, swapped the motor on a 4.6 ford 3 valve last week because one of the intake valves broke and the tulip somehow got wedged up and behind the other intake valve in the freaking port. Not sure how it got up and behind the other intake valve. Giant hole in the piston. No sign of the stem from the rocker. The rocker arm is trashed too.
Not to get too off topic from the original post, but I've got a 3 valve Ford 5.4 at the shop that had a broken rocker arm that popped the retainer off of one of one intake valve spring - the spring was just laying at the bottom of the cylinder head, and nothing was holding the valve in place but the seal - and the engine was still running. Somehow, the valve stayed in place, and that cylinder had 185 psi compression.

The whole reason why the truck came in was because the cam on the OTHER bank jumped time, and had 250+ psi on every cylinder.
dixiebandit69 is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 01:06 PM
  #39  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (40)
 
00pooterSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,357
Default

Originally Posted by dixiebandit69 View Post
Not to get too off topic from the original post, but I've got a 3 valve Ford 5.4 at the shop that had a broken rocker arm that popped the retainer off of one of one intake valve spring - the spring was just laying at the bottom of the cylinder head, and nothing was holding the valve in place but the seal - and the engine was still running. Somehow, the valve stayed in place, and that cylinder had 185 psi compression.

The whole reason why the truck came in was because the cam on the OTHER bank jumped time, and had 250+ psi on every cylinder.
Holy fack.
00pooterSS is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: