Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Flat top vs dish

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Flat top vs dish

I am getting ready to purchase a rotating assembly, and my intentions are N/A now, boost later. I am on the fence about piston selection. I was leaning towards dishes pistons with small chamber heads to keep compression up and just swapping heads later. Is there a performance loss with dish vs flat top if the compression is the same? And if any sponsors or anyone has a deal on a rotating assembly, I am interested. It's for a 4 inch bore dart ls shp block. 4 inch stroke and 4.065-4.070 pistons. 6.125 rod.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by startingstock
I am getting ready to purchase a rotating assembly, and my intentions are N/A now, boost later. I am on the fence about piston selection. I was leaning towards dishes pistons with small chamber heads to keep compression up and just swapping heads later. Is there a performance loss with dish vs flat top if the compression is the same? And if any sponsors or anyone has a deal on a rotating assembly, I am interested. It's for a 4 inch bore dart ls shp block. 4 inch stroke and 4.065-4.070 pistons. 6.125 rod.
Obviously dish/dome/flat pistons are generally chosen to control the compression ratio - which will have a strong influence on detonation and timing.

Keeping compression constant and varying dish/dome and combustion chamber will also have an effect, but will be much more nuanced...

Recent thread that's very relevant, give it a read: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ient-burn.html