Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Heads back from machine shop. Oxidation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Heads back from machine shop. Oxidation?

I just got my heads back from the machine shop. Immediately I noticed little white marks all over the heads. The machinist assured me this was ok and would not affect sealing. I have had my heads cleaned and milled a few times and never noticed marks like this. It makes me think a caustic substance was used and it made the aluminum react. I gently used a white roloc disk on a non gasket area and it does come off, but I want to make sure these are not ruined before I bolt them on. Thoughts?

Old 11-12-2020, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
I just got my heads back from the machine shop. Immediately I noticed little white marks all over the heads. The machinist assured me this was ok and would not affect sealing. I have had my heads cleaned and milled a few times and never noticed marks like this. It makes me think a caustic substance was used and it made the aluminum react. I gently used a white roloc disk on a non gasket area and it does come off, but I want to make sure these are not ruined before I bolt them on. Thoughts?

It’s probably a type of detergent that was used to clean them. They’ll be fine as long as you don’t use the roloc disk on them. Wipe them with acetone and put them on.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok thank you, I will run em.

Quick Reply: Heads back from machine shop. Oxidation?