Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Turbo 6.0 trans am build

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024 | 11:43 PM
Teching In

Default Turbo 6.0 trans am build

Hey everyone, been looking to build a turbo LS for a while now. I recently grabbed a trans am that is already mini tubbed and has a cage. Also came with a ford 9”, A2A intercooler, water/meth kit and a couple other things. The car is supposedly 3800lbs. I do have an L96 for the car and going to be putting a TH400 in it. My goal is too have this whale run 8.5 with the hope of eventually going faster. Going to be primarily a track car with occasional street driving. Im wanting to keep it SBE for right now. Just wanted to see if you guys think it’s possible and how you would do it.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Chickensandwich; 01-22-2024 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Hopefully draw more attention
Old 01-25-2024 | 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

It's definitely possible. It's a whole lot easier if you can get that weight down a couple hundred pounds.

Car looks great, btw
The following 3 users liked this post by jayyyw:
02EBC5Z06 (01-25-2024), Chickensandwich (01-25-2024), gnx7 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-25-2024 | 05:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jayyyw
It's definitely possible. It's a whole lot easier if you can get that weight down a couple hundred pounds.

Car looks great, btw
Ty. I’ve been trying to read as much as I can on here. Full with great info. I’m trying to compete with a family member that’s building a supposed high 7, low 8 car lol. I’m thinking if i gap the rings and throw a vs 88mm on it I should be fairly close to my goal.
Old 01-26-2024 | 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

you can definitely make the power to go 8.5s at that weight on a SBE, but losing weight is free. The turbo part is easy. Focus on the details and spend the money were it matters when it comes to converter, gearing, and suspension . The right cam will make your life easier too.
Old 01-26-2024 | 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
you can definitely make the power to go 8.5s at that weight on a SBE, but losing weight is free. The turbo part is easy. Focus on the details and spend the money were it matters when it comes to converter, gearing, and suspension . The right cam will make your life easier too.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. The car does have the stock interior in it. I’m thinking that should be easy weight reduction. For the converter I was thinking of giving PTC a call. Been reading good things about them. The car already has a 3.50 gear ratio for the rear. Thinking that should be good to at least start with. Suspension is QA1 already. And for the cam was thinking BTR or summit racing pro LS cam Stage 3 for either. Haven’t narrowed it down yet
Old 01-27-2024 | 02:03 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Delete the rear seat, get aluminum Kirkey buckets up front, lose the airbags ( if it still has them ), get race carpet ( no jute backing ) or no carpet at all, cut the crash beams out of the doors ( if it still has them ), ditch the radio and speakers... That's like 100-150 lbs. right there. You could gut it even more if you wanted. There's also the rear crash bar, I am assuming the front crash bar has already been removed?
Old 01-27-2024 | 07:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Delete the rear seat, get aluminum Kirkey buckets up front, lose the airbags ( if it still has them ), get race carpet ( no jute backing ) or no carpet at all, cut the crash beams out of the doors ( if it still has them ), ditch the radio and speakers... That's like 100-150 lbs. right there. You could gut it even more if you wanted. There's also the rear crash bar, I am assuming the front crash bar has already been removed?
the interior can definitely use some weight shedded. As for the front crash bar I’m not sure. I bought the car the way it is and stashed it in the trailer until better weather. I will check it out though. I figure I can take care of getting a trans built and getting the motor done while the weather still sucks.
Old 01-31-2024 | 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Is that mild steel? If it is, that's not doing you any favors in the weight dept. Also, it looks real close to the steering wheel.
Old 02-02-2024 | 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Just a suggestion, that's a nice car. I would leave that alone and keep it a street car if you want a track car, you are time and money ahead to buy a roller that is already stripped/caged and ready. There are tons of them on around, just have to look. I am watching clean 4 gens go up in value, why cut up a nice car when there are plenty ready to go.
Old 02-02-2024 | 09:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
Just a suggestion, that's a nice car. I would leave that alone and keep it a street car if you want a track car, you are time and money ahead to buy a roller that is already stripped/caged and ready. There are tons of them on around, just have to look. I am watching clean 4 gens go up in value, why cut up a nice car when there are plenty ready to go.
Thank you. I will try to drive it on the street from time to time but for the most part I want to track it when I can. It already has a hole cut in the fender for the exhaust and is tubbed. I’m not looking to completely strip it down but I do want to take a little weight out

Quick Reply: Turbo 6.0 trans am build