Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New here, need help with LS7

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New here, need help with LS7

I'm currently in the process of getting a LS7 engine for my E30 project car, I was thinking the LS7 and after some internet searches I found one from Properformance in Florida (I have added a link to the said engine). I called them, they are super nice and helpful. I'm really interested in the 427crate engine that's built by Properformance, it makes about 120 hp over the stock LS7 that comes in the gen 6 Z06. After speaking to them I was told that this motor was bored out from a LS3 motor and with upgraded internals. I have a few questions for you experts here on this forum. And sorry for not search for everything ahead of time
LS 427CI 625HP Complete Crate Engine | Proformance Unlimited

1) How will this sound when comparing to a stock LS7 engine?

2) How easy or difficult is it to make aroundd 120 hp more on the LS7 engine?

3) How reliable are these engines? (I do plan to daily drive the car once I swap the motor)

4) Anyone have any experience with this shop?
Old 07-15-2024, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lnsaneM
I'm currently in the process of getting a LS7 engine for my E30 project car, I was thinking the LS7 and after some internet searches I found one from Properformance in Florida (I have added a link to the said engine). I called them, they are super nice and helpful. I'm really interested in the 427crate engine that's built by Properformance, it makes about 120 hp over the stock LS7 that comes in the gen 6 Z06. After speaking to them I was told that this motor was bored out from a LS3 motor and with upgraded internals. I have a few questions for you experts here on this forum. And sorry for not search for everything ahead of time
LS 427CI 625HP Complete Crate Engine | Proformance Unlimited

1) How will this sound when comparing to a stock LS7 engine?

2) How easy or difficult is it to make aroundd 120 hp more on the LS7 engine?

3) How reliable are these engines? (I do plan to daily drive the car once I swap the motor)

4) Anyone have any experience with this shop?

id highly recommend against the over stroked Ls3 427 due to piston/bore wear. Id also suggest against a stock Ls7 due to the head design notorious for dropping valves. The Ls7 also suffers from issues with the titanium rod coating wearing off and allowing titanium dust to eat up your bearings etc.

if weight is not an issue and you can run an iron block the Lsx or dart is a superior block in every way to the Oem Ls7 block.

If an aluminum block is required you can look into buying a 5.3 (aluminum gen 4) and send it to be sleeved by Steve at RED. This is much stronger and can handle lots of abuse.

the sound is the same regardless of the size of the Ls, you can make a 5.3 sounds just as mean as an Ls7.

if you get lucky and find a clean Ls7 block you can change out the titanium rods for some aluminum or steel rods and eliminate the titanium dust issue.

never get Ls7 factory heads even if they have supposedly been “repaired” it wont help and you’ll still drop valves.

Its very easy to make power with 427 cubic inches, there are heads and cam Ls7’s that make 650rwhp+ just depends on how big of a cam you can stand and a nice set of aftermarket heads.

theyre very reliable with the stock stroke crank, the stock blocks start to have issues when you add a 4” or larger stroke. The pistons go too low in the sleeve which causes oil consumption and wear problems. The aftermarket sleeves are longer and you can run longer stroke without these issues.

No experience with that shop, id recommend TEC in Riviera Beach, or talk to Dualquaddave on these forums he does builds on the side and knows his stuff.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ls1Rx-7:
DualQuadDave (07-16-2024), Jimbo1367 (07-16-2024), NAVYBLUE210 (07-16-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 05:47 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,567 Likes on 2,193 Posts

The engine in the link is not an LS7. It’s a stroked LS3….just letting you know in case there’s confusion here.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
The engine in the link is not an LS7. It’s a stroked LS3….just letting you know in case there’s confusion here.
Yes, I'm aware of this

Originally Posted by Ls1Rx-7
id highly recommend against the over stroked Ls3 427 due to piston/bore wear. Id also suggest against a stock Ls7 due to the head design notorious for dropping valves. The Ls7 also suffers from issues with the titanium rod coating wearing off and allowing titanium dust to eat up your bearings etc.

if weight is not an issue and you can run an iron block the Lsx or dart is a superior block in every way to the Oem Ls7 block.

If an aluminum block is required you can look into buying a 5.3 (aluminum gen 4) and send it to be sleeved by Steve at RED. This is much stronger and can handle lots of abuse.

the sound is the same regardless of the size of the Ls, you can make a 5.3 sounds just as mean as an Ls7.

if you get lucky and find a clean Ls7 block you can change out the titanium rods for some aluminum or steel rods and eliminate the titanium dust issue.

never get Ls7 factory heads even if they have supposedly been “repaired” it wont help and you’ll still drop valves.

Its very easy to make power with 427 cubic inches, there are heads and cam Ls7’s that make 650rwhp+ just depends on how big of a cam you can stand and a nice set of aftermarket heads.

theyre very reliable with the stock stroke crank, the stock blocks start to have issues when you add a 4” or larger stroke. The pistons go too low in the sleeve which causes oil consumption and wear problems. The aftermarket sleeves are longer and you can run longer stroke without these issues.

No experience with that shop, id recommend TEC in Riviera Beach, or talk to Dualquaddave on these forums he does builds on the side and knows his stuff.
I think you are right on a lot of the questions, it would be probably easier if I just get a LSX instead.
I'm not worried about weight that much as it's going to be pretty light daily driver anyways.
I just want around 500 whp being a daily grocery getter and going to the tracks occasionally. So reliability is a must in this build.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 376 Likes on 242 Posts

Love you too, hope all is well with you and the family 👍
The following users liked this post:
Ls1Rx-7 (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I'm aware of this

I think you are right on a lot of the questions, it would be probably easier if I just get a LSX instead.
I'm not worried about weight that much as it's going to be pretty light daily driver anyways.
I just want around 500 whp being a daily grocery getter and going to the tracks occasionally. So reliability is a must in this build.
For reliability, the LSX block is great, but the LS7 heads that come on it are not. Give us an idea of how much power you want to make and will give you a recommendation for a combo that runs and lives.
Old 07-16-2024, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 220 Likes on 131 Posts

My .02
Bullet Proof, Reliable, Track Driveable Daily Driver
LSX short block
Daily 3 stage dry sump oil system.
AFR LS3 Heads (money no object, set up by Tony Mamo)
Mild ( in 427") Cam Motion HR Something like 235*/243* .621"/.608" 114*+3*
( Leaving good amount on the table, but very dd friendly)
an Easy 550+ RWHP
With ported OE Intake & TB ~ 11.0:1 Comp. 1 7/8" LTs and good exhaust.

Last edited by NAVYBLUE210; 07-16-2024 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2024, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
For reliability, the LSX block is great, but the LS7 heads that come on it are not. Give us an idea of how much power you want to make and will give you a recommendation for a combo that runs and lives.
Oh hell yeah, I'll definitely pm you about this

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
My .02
Bullet Proof, Reliable, Track Driveable Daily Driver
LSX short block
Daily 3 stage dry sump oil system.
AFR LS3 Heads (money no object, set up by Tony Mamo)
Mild ( in 427") Cam Motion HR Something like 235*/243* .621"/.608" 114*+3*
( Leaving good amount on the table, but very dd friendly)
an Easy 550+ RWHP
With ported OE Intake & TB ~ 11.0:1 Comp. 1 7/8" LTs and good exhaust.
This sounds pretty good.

I was also looking at the LSX kit sold by Jegs, it seems simple enough but it is a 454ci which is 7.4 litres. Is this also a stroked out engine?
Chevrolet Performance 19417357 [19355573] | LSX454 454ci Engine Kit | 454ci Crate Engine, Engine Controller, LS Muscle Car Oil Pan - JEGS

The reason I mentioned the LS7 engine is because I love the way these engines sound in the C6 Z06s. And want something similar in sound while making 550 WHP being a daily drivable trackable car.
Old 07-17-2024, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Oh hell yeah, I'll definitely pm you about this

This sounds pretty good.

I was also looking at the LSX kit sold by Jegs, it seems simple enough but it is a 454ci which is 7.4 litres. Is this also a stroked out engine?
Chevrolet Performance 19417357 [19355573] | LSX454 454ci Engine Kit | 454ci Crate Engine, Engine Controller, LS Muscle Car Oil Pan - JEGS

The reason I mentioned the LS7 engine is because I love the way these engines sound in the C6 Z06s. And want something similar in sound while making 550 WHP being a daily drivable trackable car.
if you want a Lsx 454 I actually have a longblock with trickflow heads that needs a rebuild and you can save thousands if you buy it from me and have Dualquad rebuild it for you.

$17,000 is way too much for that and those heads suck. Ive got an entire engine from pan to intake.

Been good Dave, been meaning to give you a call had the baby and all is well just no sleep lol!
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 09:04 PM
Teching In

if you want a Lsx 454 I actually have a longblock with trickflow heads that needs a rebuild and you can save thousands if you buy it from me and have Dualquad rebuild it for you.

$17,000 is way too much for that and those heads suck. Ive got an entire engine from pan to intake.

Been good Dave, been meaning to give you a call had the baby and all is well just no sleep lol!
You got my attention and I'm definitely interested now. How many miles are on your engine so far and where you located?

I couldn't figure out how to pm someone so DualQuadDave, where are you located? I'm in Houston and was wondering if we are close...
Old 07-18-2024, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

You got my attention and I'm definitely interested now. How many miles are on your engine so far and where you located?

I couldn't figure out how to pm someone so DualQuadDave, where are you located? I'm in Houston and was wondering if we are close...
Mr M, I am located in South Florida. You have to have 5 posts min to DM, so that is why it's not giving you the option. Given you are in Houston, you have many good builders in your backyard. I can build and ship, it's just a case of what is best for you.
Old 07-18-2024, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

ahh i assumed you were in Florida since you mentioned the shop, yeah you have some great builders in Texas so you shouldnt have much trouble.

my engine has like 10,000 miles and sat for a while. It needs a rebuild but ive been busy and haven't gotten around to it since i just had a baby.
Old 07-18-2024, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
Mr M, I am located in South Florida. You have to have 5 posts min to DM, so that is why it's not giving you the option. Given you are in Houston, you have many good builders in your backyard. I can build and ship, it's just a case of what is best for you.
Yeah I figured it would be the issue with my new account, I had an account here from way back in the days but lost the password and the old email with it. Lemme do some more research and finally figure out what I want.

ahh i assumed you were in Florida since you mentioned the shop, yeah you have some great builders in Texas so you shouldnt have much trouble.

my engine has like 10,000 miles and sat for a while. It needs a rebuild but ive been busy and haven't gotten around to it since i just had a baby.
Congrats with the baby! It's nice that you guys are Florida men, I want to join the club too. I had an F body Trans Am with LS1 from back in the days, then moved to other cars. But I can definitely do something with the block and heads you have to build something around 550 hp..
Old 07-19-2024, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by Sube,
It’s a stroked LS3
We know that already. You're being a troll.

Quick Reply: New here, need help with LS7