Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need help, Service Engine will not go off

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, Service Engine will not go off

Everytime I drive for 20 minutes or more my service engine soon light comes on. My car is not overheating and all the vitals are at the normal operating levels. If I shut the car off and turn it back on the light won't come on for another 20 minutes or so. Has this happened to anyone else or what can I do to avoid this? Thanks!
Old 12-17-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everytime I drive for 20 minutes or more my service engine soon light comes on. My car is not overheating and all the vitals are at the normal operating levels. If I shut the car off and turn it back on the light won't come on for another 20 minutes or so. Has this happened to anyone else or what can I do to avoid this? Thanks!
A couple of obervations:

Since you've posted in the LS2 forum, one might conclude that your vehicle has an LS2. If so, you're under warranty - take it in and have the dealer figure it out.

If you've erroneously posted in this forum and you have another form of LS1 then go to your local Autozone or Napa and have them pull the code for you. Alternatively you could purchase an OBD-II compatible scan tool (Actron makes a cheap one) and pull the code yourself. Even if the light is off it should be stored in history for a number of drive cycles.

If your vehicle is pre-1996, you'll need to find an OBD-I scanner or use a jumper.

This is the only way to tell what exactly the car is trying to tell you. Once you find the code, post it here or in an appropriate forum and we'll try and help.