Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Scratch built 408

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005 | 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Scratch built 408

Hello all, Im new to this section of ls1tech. If this is the wrong place, please move. Also, you may tell me to search, but I'm too overwhelmed with some of this still.

I get the feeling that most folks out here are most interested in changing their LS1's over to larger displacement engines. So its cost effective to reuse parts from their LS1. But I'd like to build a 408 Iron block from all new parts to be able to put into... well I dont know yet, maybe a lawnmower, maybe an Ultima. I plan to buy parts as money becomes available and spread the build/learning experience over time.

I saw the sticky with PN's but there's a lot missing, maybe not for a conversion, but there's no numbers for ECM, no numbers for knock sensors, things I would need for a ground up build. Can someone help get me started? Links to particularly useful threads or suggest a book/catalogue?...

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2005 | 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
Hello all, Im new to this section of ls1tech. If this is the wrong place, please move. Also, you may tell me to search, but I'm too overwhelmed with some of this still.

I get the feeling that most folks out here are most interested in changing their LS1's over to larger displacement engines. So its cost effective to reuse parts from their LS1. But I'd like to build a 408 Iron block from all new parts to be able to put into... well I dont know yet, maybe a lawnmower, maybe an Ultima. I plan to buy parts as money becomes available and spread the build/learning experience over time.

I saw the sticky with PN's but there's a lot missing, maybe not for a conversion, but there's no numbers for ECM, no numbers for knock sensors, things I would need for a ground up build. Can someone help get me started? Links to particularly useful threads or suggest a book/catalogue?...

Thanks!
Maybe start with some sponsor's sites - SDPC. They have a wealth of info on their web. Check out Cartek, too, for different displacement configurations. You can get an idea of who makes what by clicking through the bar on the right ----->

Like you said, search works well. You've got to use that to find stuff. GM stock LSx product part numbers can be found on this board and through Google. Also, a quick call, or visit, to your local GM dealer's parts department could be productive.
Old 08-03-2005 | 01:07 AM
Teching In

I've found lots of good ls1 info in these publications:
SA Book How to build high performance chevy ls1/ls6 v8
HP Book CHEVY LS1 / LS6 Engine Performance
Old 08-04-2005 | 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you Freddy! Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 08-04-2005 | 01:14 AM
Teching In

I don't know much but I'm more than happy to share what I know. You'll find both books on ebay all day and probably on amazon.com.
Good Luck,Freddy

Quick Reply: Scratch built 408