Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Variable Valve Timing for 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can some of you guys see past the end of your own nose????

"yap crap "...... for f*ck sake, grow up!

they do what they do with the cars they want! just coz its a little diffrent to the things you do to yours doesn't means its wrong!

why cant someof you grow some b*lls and give credit where it is due???????

Chris.

PS. and i would say this to ANYONE having a go at another market just coz they are doing something diffrent to a diffrent car!

oh yeah, and i wonder where the bits for you computers that you are all typing on came from? and probably where they are made! and then there are you mobile phones..........!
Old 12-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
can some of you guys see past the end of your own nose????

"yap crap "...... for f*ck sake, grow up!

they do what they do with the cars they want! just coz its a little diffrent to the things you do to yours doesn't means its wrong!

why cant someof you grow some b*lls and give credit where it is due???????

Chris.

PS. and i would say this to ANYONE having a go at another market just coz they are doing something diffrent to a diffrent car!

oh yeah, and i wonder where the bits for you computers that you are all typing on came from? and probably where they are made! and then there are you mobile phones..........!

They use to be made here if you remember like a bunch of other stuff. Now they just dump all their stuff here. Can we say trade deficit Mean while we can't go to their market because of there laws.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm so gald this turned into a pointless bash fest intsead of what could a quite good tech chat......

I read about this about 10 mins ago myself and me being a huge fan of VVT this struck a cord.

VVT is an awesome tech seeing it on a big LSX motor would be insane even better then stock milage and more power where can you go wrong?!?!

I've always found 2 ways to go fast size and tech mixing the 2 is always best way to do so! I hope to see this happening.

As far OVH VVT I think that's its just so cool how now the "dinosaurs" as most ppl veiw OHVs have new life again!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speedpup
They use to be made here if you remember like a bunch of other stuff. Now they just dump all their stuff here. Can we say trade deficit Mean while we can't go to their market because of there laws.
My AWD eclipse was made in a chrysler factory....

Alot of parts are us...

In fact when I pulled out the vapor can it actually was a GM rochester products division part! Seriously...

Specing a cam depends on how the sytem is setup... Like if the center of the variable range is centered on the cams center or offset... It also depends on if the nose of the VVT cam is the same as a non VVT or not..
Old 12-20-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again

Specing a cam depends on how the sytem is setup... Like if the center of the variable range is centered on the cams center or offset... It also depends on if the nose of the VVT cam is the same as a non VVT or not..
Yeah, that is true about the cam - but I don't see why they would need to change them around that much. At least from the pics i've seen, it looks like just a phaser that attaches to the front. Hopefully it just replaces the regular cam gear and front cover.

I'm reading the hotrod blurb now:

"the VVT allows cam timing to be varied from 10° advanced to 52° retarded for a total of 62° camshaft degrees of timing control"

-HotRod Jan06
Old 12-20-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Wow... +10 thru -52.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Haha, yeah, well the "next generation" will have to worry about one more thing, but the level of refinement with big cams will take a big leap.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Actually it wont take as big of a cam...

Advancing the cam shifts the tq lower.. Retarding it brings it higher...

You have 52 degrees of "bigger" cam..... 62 depending on how you look at it...

Thats a fawking lot...

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 12-20-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
You have 52 degrees of "bigger" cam..... 62 depending on how you look at it...

Thats a fawking lot...

Its not right either..

The previous vortec phaser starts at 0 degrees and can retard up to 25..

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/iss.../TLjul05e.html

Startup/Home position 0 deg.

At the full 25 deg of camshaft forrest gump.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, really good link! The article does say that the new vane type allows for 25 cam degrees. I wonder where HotRod got their info? They have been wrong before lol.

Edited: 2 crank deg = 1 cam degree

Last edited by Grimes; 12-21-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
Just to clarify things too, don't forget 2 camshaft degrees=1 crank degree. Sounds like a lot of adjustment (and it is), but it would be around 12.5 crank degrees to put things in perspective.
Actually, I fear you've got this part backwards. Its 2 crank degrees for every 1 cam degree. Advance is usually measured in crank degrees as is duration and just every other cam measurement save LSA. If indeed this offers 25 "cam" degrees of timing adjustment, thats having 50 crank degrees of timing adjustment. We're gonna need some deep valve reliefs!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Actually, I fear you've got this part backwards. Its 2 crank degrees for every 1 cam degree. Advance is usually measured in crank degrees as is duration and just every other cam measurement save LSA. If indeed this offers 25 "cam" degrees of timing adjustment, thats having 50 crank degrees of timing adjustment. We're gonna need some deep valve reliefs!
Haha, you're right - brain fart, it's eary in the morning!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

The link was for the phaser on the smaller vortec inlines..

I could see them making one with 31 deg range at the cam and on a truck having default or home be a advanced position...

Preliminary playing with engine sim software makes me think that the aftermarket will have to come up with different grinds even if the cam nose is the same...

You will do better with less duration and LSA on the VVT engine. You dont need a wide LSA to try to broaden the curve. Too much duration and you can start losing power over a smaller cam if you try to use the full VVT range..

Quick Reply: Variable Valve Timing for 6.2L