Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

402 cam - Where is the sweet spot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006 | 02:07 PM
On The Tree

I would very much like to see the numbers he gave you. Perhaps Tony Mamo will step in and tell us about his latest testing. I know he was planning on doing some 402 testing.

I have one of the FAST 90's ported by Tony. I used it on my previous 346 and my current 402, I am sure you will like it.

There may be someone who has done more dyno testing of street driven combinations of LSx motors than Tony has. I don't know who it is but I do know that Tony is the only person who documents his findings and then shares them with the entire community. He has been of immense help to me in the past. The cam he recommended for my old 346 was nothing short of fantastic.

Every time I read one of Tony's test results postings it's like finding a gold mine.
Old 06-20-2006 | 09:16 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by LeMansBlue04
I would very much like to see the numbers he gave you. Perhaps Tony Mamo will step in and tell us about his latest testing. I know he was planning on doing some 402 testing.

I have one of the FAST 90's ported by Tony. I used it on my previous 346 and my current 402, I am sure you will like it.

There may be someone who has done more dyno testing of street driven combinations of LSx motors than Tony has. I don't know who it is but I do know that Tony is the only person who documents his findings and then shares them with the entire community. He has been of immense help to me in the past. The cam he recommended for my old 346 was nothing short of fantastic.

Every time I read one of Tony's test results postings it's like finding a gold mine.
Yeah, not a bad guy for a NY Stock broker in the witness protection program out in CA

Pssst Tony, we told ya to keep a low profile.
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent cam article here guys
http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/06...ics/index.html

As Partrick said (and Tony recommended in his cam suggestion) LSA and overlap is where its at. Overlap can give an intake scavenging effect orders of magnatude greater than the intake stroke on the engine. If you have no overlap you will miss out on all that extra induction. There is info in the article on choosing your LSA and overlap.
Basically choose your overlap and LSA, the duration will follow from these decisions. Maximising lift is also recommended.

A quote from there "To arrive at the duration when the overlap and LCA are known, we take the overlap (in our example 66), divide by 2, add it to the LCA (108 + 33), then double it (141 x 2 = 282). That's the duration needed to satisfy the overlap and LCA requirements, and I will bet arriving at the required cam this way is a whole lot different (and far more accurate) than you have been told in the past."

Quick Reply: 402 cam - Where is the sweet spot?