Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 air filter/cold air pipe sizing

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 air filter/cold air pipe sizing

I am building a cold air inlet to feed my LS7. I was going to build the pipe from 4" ID material the same as the throttle body. However I am starting to wonder if that is big enough. I plan on running about 3' of tubing to a HUGE K & N filter in front of the radiator. I am wondering if the tubing is big enough or if the engine could consume all the air in the pipe before more air can pass through the air filter. GM/Hot Rod Solstice uses a twin 3 - 4" set up but I am short on space. Any recommendations from people running big inches or blown applications?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

We're planning on doing something similar but have limited space and have to design a system. One thing I have heard (presuming you are using the LS7 cartridge style MAF) is that the airflow going past the MAF has to be just right. I don't have the specifics but would be interested in hearing from anyone who has taken this approach as well. I suppose the stock Z06 air bridge could be used as part of the system to address that. I've also seen a 90 degree elbow unit from Street & Performance.

One other option is to use the LS2 MAF unit which gives more flexibility in it's mounting location. If that is done I understand a change in the MAF wiring connection and a small change in programming is needed.

Rich Lagasse
Old 06-23-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

A 4" tube is more than adequate since the 4" tube represents the equivalent of ~103mm diameter and the TB is only 90mm!
Old 06-23-2006, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

That is what I thought also but HotRod went way out of there way to make a huge air inlet. May have been more for show... As long as the air filter is big enough it should fill the tube faster than it empties it. Also no MAF - using speed density.

Mark
Old 06-23-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

May have been more for show
You got that right! As long as the filter flows the CFM required, you're good to go!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to say...MAF? who needs that junk hahaha.

Quick Reply: LS7 air filter/cold air pipe sizing