Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Sleeved LS2 v. LS7

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

Default leaking block

Dave,

When was your block machined? I don't recall doing business directly with you nor has anyone called me about a problem with an MID block tht I have machined in years. I've got hundreds of wet sleeved blocks running out there, many with boost.

There are at times problems with some blocks, aftermarket sleeved or not. Attached are photos of two factory C5R blocks with sleeves that failed running normally aspirated. The second was not caught in time before the sleeve actually broke. That one is currently at my shop for repair.

I've repaired a couple of LS7 blocks with the same problem.

Steve

Originally Posted by 99Fbody99
Your not the only one.

Hell, I had a customers MID block that didnt make to 3k miles at 10 psi boost before pissing into the coolant. It was also done Via Steve at Race engines inc no less.

The motor has been sporting an LS7 block for the last 15k or so with no issues.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Sleeved LS2 v. LS7-c5r-liner-crack.jpg   Sleeved LS2 v. LS7-dscn3391a.jpg  
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 02-18-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Block was done over a year ago and Purchased Via A&A corvette. Pulled the pan and pressureized the cooling system and it was leakin from the bottom of the sleeves into the pan at 15 psi. It in the shitcan now.

Dave

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
Dave,

When was your block machined? I don't recall doing business directly with you nor has anyone called me about a problem with an MID block tht I have machined in years. I've got hundreds of wet sleeved blocks running out there, many with boost.

There are at times problems with some blocks, aftermarket sleeved or not. Attached are photos of two factory C5R blocks with sleeves that failed running normally aspirated. The second was not caught in time before the sleeve actually broke. That one is currently at my shop for repair.

I've repaired a couple of LS7 blocks with the same problem.

Steve
Old 02-19-2007, 02:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

Default leaking block

I'm surprised that Andy didn't call me about a problem with a block. I have two other blocks here that "leaked" under boost. One I did, the other installation was done incorrectly by another shop. That block was distorted and cracked. The block I did had the incorrect head gaskets on it. The outline of the head gasket on the deck does not match up with the correct Cometic head gasket. Incorrect head gaskets are responsible for most leaking problems.

If there is a problem with a Darton product, feel free to call me. The above mentioned engine that was done by another shop was repaired free of charge by Darton and myself for the customer even though we had nothing to do with the problem.

The MID sleeve installations have held over 60 lbs. of boost in import applications. The Ecotec was run at over 45 pounds of boost without problems. I have my own design sleeves for the Viper engines. I have a customer with a boosted engine, 15 pounds (930 hp to the rear wheels) running on the street for over three years now.

As I mentioned in my last thread, there are problems at times with products. No one can be 100% perfect.

Steve

Originally Posted by 99Fbody99
Block was done over a year ago and Purchased Via A&A corvette. Pulled the pan and pressureized the cooling system and it was leakin from the bottom of the sleeves into the pan at 15 psi. It in the shitcan now.

Dave
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 02-20-2007, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steve

Hi Steve,

Continue to get your company's name out there. I sure would have ordered my engine from you instead of Scoggin Dickey, had I known about your company back in November. It sounds like you have the experience and quality that everyone is looking for.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used Steve as well for all the Darton stuff I did and so did the School and we have had only good experiences. The School's 154 mph Orange SS had one of Steve's Darton MID block's in it.

Quick Reply: Sleeved LS2 v. LS7