Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Vvt Lh6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vvt Lh6?

I am looking at this for fuel mileage in an aftermarket car application and know that it is not the otimum engine for horsepower with choices like the l92 around. The lh6 has dod, but no lsx engine smaller than the new 6.0 l76 has vvt so far.

Tuning aside, is this theoretically possible on the little Gen. IVs? Specifically, are the provisions there to convert one over?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Widetracker
I am looking at this for fuel mileage in an aftermarket car application and know that it is not the otimum engine for horsepower with choices like the l92 around. The lh6 has dod, but no lsx engine smaller than the new 6.0 l76 has vvt so far.

Tuning aside, is this theoretically possible on the little Gen. IVs? Specifically, are the provisions there to convert one over?
As in convert a LH6 5.3 Gen IV to VVT. Why the DOD alone would yield better MPG. GM is getting 22mpg in a fullsize truck with a 5.3 and active fuel management. And they will eventally get better if they ever add the new 6sp autos in the trucks.

It could be done but at a great cost and your not going to gain very much mpg to justify the expense. And I think a aftermarket cam would make more power than the VVT anyway.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I am really asking is:

1. Are the physical provisions there on the block in all Gen. IV's for VVT (sensors, bolt holes)? I know the cams are different on the DODs, and vvt has a different timing setup, but can they be mounted on a run of the mill Gen. IV?
2. What parts would I need to swap the vvt feature off an l92 or l76 onto an lh6?
3. Would the cam in the bigger DOD motors work in this little engine? I haven't read anybody trying this yet.

Thank you.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Widetracker
What I am really asking is:

1. Are the physical provisions there on the block in all Gen. IV's for VVT (sensors, bolt holes)? I know the cams are different on the DODs, and vvt has a different timing setup, but can they be mounted on a run of the mill Gen. IV?
2. What parts would I need to swap the vvt feature off an l92 or l76 onto an lh6?
3. Would the cam in the bigger DOD motors work in this little engine? I haven't read anybody trying this yet.

Thank you.
Again waste of time for very minimal again, but it's your money!

1) Physical they should be the same I have never actually seen them together to compare.
2) Basically I would think you would need a cam, and the VVT phaser, front cover(maybe) and run wires. And tune the PCM (maybe even need the newer PCM.
3) I think the L92 and L76 cams are the same (but don't have any number to be sure). And I think the VVT cams my be different from the regular cams DOD cams on the front for the phaser.

You will spend more time and money hooking up the VVT then any gas millage saving you will ever gain!!!!

Quick Reply: Vvt Lh6?