Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Tall Deck LSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
Beast96Z,
When will that BITCH be running???????????????? Dying to see what the Harrop is gonna do.

Tell ET to finish my valve covers.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Tell ET to finish my valve covers.
Thats all you're waiting on?

I know its a bitch to do, but you should do a Harrop vs. FAST 90 dyno run?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the new lsx iron block, they are out now and can be safely put up too 511 cubic inches. (4.250 by 4.250) i think, but not sure. Not to mention they have six bolts per cylinder and would easily make you NA power for ya.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by verve_v
Just get the new lsx iron block, they are out now and can be safely put up too 511 cubic inches. (4.250 by 4.250) i think, but not sure. Not to mention they have six bolts per cylinder and would easily make you NA power for ya.
Might be a ticking time bomb at 511ci.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by verve_v
Go back and read the whole thread, then slap yourself, then research the fact that the tall deck can go to 511 cubes and that is the whole point of this thread. After you have completed those steps, then you can post.

Marty
Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you.
Also if i did my math correctly, thanks to Beast96Z, i would need a 4.250" x 4.500" to come up with 511ci, and thats a little too much, even beefed up heads would have trouble delivering the proper amount to fuel/air to that kind of ci engine. I am looking into a 454, or a 482ci.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Thank you.
Also if i did my math correctly, thanks to Beast96Z, i would need a 4.250" x 4.500" to come up with 511ci, and thats a little too much, even beefed up heads would have trouble delivering the proper amount to fuel/air to that kind of ci engine. I am looking into a 454, or a 482ci.
There are rumors of GMPP coming out with a new head for the LSX block. It was on Reggie Jackson's car. Should be able to feed the cubes. There are LS& heads out there now that will flow right at 400. How much power do you want?? The warhawk head as cast will not be enough, but fully ported would be plenty for a 700 rwhp engine. Just my .02 cents

Not to mention the E.T. c.v. heads that Beast mentioned
Old 03-15-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quickin
Might be a ticking time bomb at 511ci.

LOL don't scratch the cylinder, throw it all away!!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I am looking for about 750rwhp, if that can be achived with a 454, or 483. Also i might spray a 150-200hp shot ontop of the 750rwhp on the track only. But i will only spray that much if i dont have to change alot on the engine. (511ci is out of the question.)
Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Here are some parts i am looking into:

LSX: tall or short deck
Sheet Metal intake
105mm TB
Manley or Compstar rods
Callies or Lunati or Compstar Crank
Diamond (any better company?) Pistons
Warhawk or ETP heads
CompCams valve components

I know that i am looking into a lot of combinations and variables.
Any company better than the other in my case?
Opinions welcome.....
Old 03-15-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

So you uguys dont think the LS7 heads will be enough to support the 4.250 bore? Looking at flow numbers on BBC heads, LS7 and L92 heads flow enough and should be enough for a well thought out 454 street combination. Fully race engine, maybe not?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I am looking for about 750rwhp, if that can be achived with a 454, or 483. Also i might spray a 150-200hp shot ontop of the 750rwhp on the track only. But i will only spray that much if i dont have to change alot on the engine. (511ci is out of the question.)
You can forget about 750rwhp from a streetable daily driver. Futral did an all out race engine (Colonels engine), I think 427ci, race gas, I think 15:1 compression, huge cam, custom sheet metal intake, blah, blah, blah. It did a round 840 FWhp. Which would be about 670 RWhp through an automatic tranny. At an approximate of 1-1.5 hp gain for each cubic inch of increase, a 511ci would put down about 770rwhp, but you're gonna have a pure race engined trailor car thats gonna cost you $30,000 to build.

Just build a sweet, smooth idle, pump gas, 454ci (600 rwhp) and spray it with a rather small DP 150 shot and you'll have your 750 RWhp car and it'll last a long time.

I was asking **** like this for awhile here, I wanted 700 RWhp and a nice daily driver, it ain't gonna happen AND be nice. 454ci, Hogan intake, canted valve ETP heads and a medium sized cam should get me 620-650 RWhp, that'll be one badass A4. 250 progressive DP shot added to it and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by texada
So you uguys dont think the LS7 heads will be enough to support the 4.250 bore?
Whats the total cubes?

Looking at flow numbers on BBC heads, LS7 and L92 heads flow enough and should be enough for a well thought out 454 street combination. Fully race engine, maybe not?
I asked this question a few times, there is no calculator to figure out if a given intake/head combo can feed the engine its sitting on top of. There is a certain number of cubes that will not be able to get fed by a given intake/head combo, to see if all you're cubes will be utilized. Choking an engine is a waste of an engine. Everyones talking about huge cube motors but they can't feed them with the heads and intakes we have right now. The Harrop and sheet metal intakes are required to feed big engines. I think to go 511 with the new blocks is a waste, until the heads and intakes get better. Or if you go Forced-I.

Head shop in Lauderdale is getting 400cfm with LS7 heads, those with a good sheet metal intake can probably match good with a 454ci, but not more cubes than that. And if you plan to use a L76 or LS7 intake, you're wasting your cubes because those intakes can't feed big engines and big heads like the LS7's, so the weak link will be those intakes. A 400cfm LS7 head will not flow 400cfm with one of those intakes attached.....weak link.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

So, if i have about 600-620rwhp(750 w/ the shot), what are some times i am looking at with stock weight(with the add of needed structure so i dont hurt the car it self), a really beefed up A4, and a Dana 60? I wont be using this as a daily driver also, only like an ice cream car, like around the block once or twice a week during summer, and track car a few times a month. Stored for the winters and falls.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

So, if i have about 600-620rwhp(750 w/ the shot), what are some times i am looking at with stock weight(with the add of needed structure so i dont hurt the car it self), a really beefed up A4, and a Dana 60? I wont be using this as a daily driver also, only like an ice cream car, like around the block once or twice a week during summer, and track car a few times a month. Stored for the winters and falls.
I'm not into drag racing, I think its $^#, but thats just me. But if I had to guess, if you DEAD HOOK 750 RWHP out of the hole on the spray or even progressive spray immediately after launch, I think you'll running in the low 9's or maybe high 8's. Go ask in the drag section. I do know drag racing is not just RWHP and weight, its a complete bumper-to-bumper, roof-to-tires set-up that get you good ET's.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your suspension would be equally as expensive as the motor if built to handle the power of said motor. 750 rwhp is a **** load of power. The last car I drove had 450rwhp and it was evil. I don't know how I'm gunna handle what I'm fixing to make, but I'm sure it'll come with time. Think about that power your wanting to make and ask yourself if it is really worth a 12+ point certified cage, 5 point harness, Completly revamped suspension and possibally weelie bars. Just make sure to look at the whole picture and keep the whole car in perspective.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Your suspension would be equally as expensive as the motor if built to handle the power of said motor. 750 rwhp is a **** load of power. The last car I drove had 450rwhp and it was evil. I don't know how I'm gunna handle what I'm fixing to make, but I'm sure it'll come with time. Think about that power your wanting to make and ask yourself if it is really worth a 12+ point certified cage, 5 point harness, Completly revamped suspension and possibally weelie bars. Just make sure to look at the whole picture and keep the whole car in perspective.
Well said and I agree 100%. 600rwhp is more than enough stupid power than one will ever hook on the street, and it all depends if you want a dedicated drag car or not and what one's objectives are for his machine!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chicago Crew UnderBoss
600rwhp is more than enough stupid power than one will ever hook on the street
Here we go again.

So untrue. 600 RWHP is nothing. If you're talking about dead hooking "on the street" from a dig, then yes, thats alot of power. But who stomps the pedal to the floor with a big cube motor from a dig on the street???? Only fools that don't know how to drive a car or someone who wants a smoke show.

There's plenty of cars, PLENTY, that have over 1,000 RWHP that drive on the streets daily, and they roll race on the street too. You just have to "stomp" if you will, the pedal, to the floor, in a different manor and at the proper rpm and speed.

600 RWHP is not alot of power, period. My ~500 RWHP is pathetic to me and old and boring as hell.

Some simple rules to follow as to NEVER lose control of your car:

"Don't whipe out 101"

1) Never be aggressive with the gas pedal in the rain.

2) Never be aggressive with the gas pedal while the car is "side loaded" in any way (side loaded = anything other than straight line motion, steering wheel not moving in either direction)(ie: going around a corner or changing lanes)

3) Never stay in the pedal if the rear-end starts to skid in either direction and steer towards the direction of the skid to minimize the effects. Keep the TCS "on" to help you keep from doing this.

4) Don't build your speed to a certain amount on any street, highway or Blvd. if you're not 100% sure you can fully stop BEFORE smacking into anything in front of you or that MAY pull out from a side street giving you the surprise of your life.

5) Don't ever stomp the gas while close to another car because torque alone can cause an immediate loss of the rear-end to one side and/or the steering wheel NOT being perfectly straight at the time of said stomp can also cause you to lose the rear-end, ultimately, possible hitting the car next to you.

6) Last but not least.....never drive after consuming alcohol or taking drugs.

Happy driving

Hell, dozens of idiots on this site told me 5 years ago that I would wrap my car around a pole within 6 months of owning my car (in sig), those idiots are just scared little poeple who don't know how to drive cars. Can't wait to hear the same crap when my new set-up hits the streets, yeehaw!!!!

Last edited by Quickin; 03-15-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:02 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

511 cubes needs a 4.5 in. arm....lot to swing. For what you seem to REALLY want, and seeing how I am assuming your fairly young (sig said grandfather gave you the car, so your about 18 years old I assume), I would honestly leave all the LSX stuff alone for now. Not out yet, no real builds on it. A4 won't handle that kind of power, will need a TH400 or glide, a nd lots of suspension stuff to actually use the power. Not to mention your gonna need $20K to get it mostly done.

Here is what I would suggest....$8500 will get you a COMPLETE 416 cube forged L92 engine, ported/assembled L92 heads, L76 intake/TB/rails/injectors....recent post on this same combo came out to 551 rwhp and 507 rwtque (manual not auto). This is more reasonable than an all out $20-$30K setup your talking about. Not to mention that the LSX is iron and heavy, and the 416 is aluminum.

You make a TA with about 500 rwhp, built A4, nice converter, and you will have a 10 second car all day long on decent suspension and tires. Spray a 150 shot and you have a low 10 second car, 9's with good traction. That is a reasonable goal that you can attain a LOT easier than a mega buck build that is unreachable.

Here is the price you looking at...
$8500 motor
$1800 headers complete exhaust
$2000 RPM built A4
$1000 converter/trans cooler/fluid/filter
$2500 rear end (12 bolt/9 inch/60/whatever)
$500 fuel system (at LEAST this muchl probably more)
$500 tune
$1500 suspension mods (to get started)
$1200 decent nitrous system
$2000 labor roughly

thats $21,000 right there on the budget L92 setup....and that doesn't get you the rim/tire combo, uprgraded brakes, safety/track stuff (cage, harness, etc), full suspension stuff you would need, etc.

SO, if you do it cheap but "good", its $21K...imagine what it would be with LSX components....add at least $5,000 to this price I would imagine.

So, unless your an extrememly wealthy 18 year old, don't plan on doing a LSX buildup right now....look into the l92 stuff...seems pretty promising.

Better yet, keep the unmolested TA with low miles (13xxx miles) STOCK. Go buy a car that is allready done and built, and race that!

SDB

Last edited by SDB; 03-16-2007 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Gordon you still interested in a LSX TD? I have one and was planning on building the exact set-up you guys were talking about. But 900hp out of these blocks N/A is a tall order on pump gas unless you spin the crap out of it and then the valvetrain gets real expensive.

btw, as far as the head questions that were mentioned...There's a few heads out there that will work and flow enough to feed 482ci. which is what I was looking into and have researched. Two heads in particular are the LSX head (go figure). With WCCH stage two port job it flows 395 on the intake. They are also rectangular ports which is better suited to these size engines. The other head is the All-Pro with WCCH stage two port job and it will flow low-mid 400's, last I heard was 430cfm on the intake runners. It is also a six bolt head with rectangular ports.
Not sure anymore if I wanna do this so build because of the intake situation though. Thinking about selling the block and rebuilding my forged 370.

Quick Reply: Tall Deck LSX