Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 question for SDPC/anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 question for SDPC/anyone else

Im sorry if this is a Noobish post. I am trying to learn as much as I can. I have a 99 Formula that has 150K+ miles on the motor and with it being the only car I have I'm trying to make this car dependable for as cheap as possible. I have some money from being in the Army in Iraq but I get out as soon as I get back and I'm trying to keep as much as possible saved till I get on my feet.

I was looking through SDPC at there Bare blocks and seen a few thing I have questions about.

• LS2 blocks feature a 4.00" bore, LS1 / LS6 have 3.898"
The .102 doesn' affect the pistons out of a LS1, how is that?
• Crankshafts, connecting rods, pistons and cylinder heads are
interchangeable between LS2 and LS1 / LS6 engines
Does the Cam also interchange or do I need a Different cam?
• LS2 cylinder heads are made from the same castings as the
LS6
So just get some new bolts and away we go right?
• LS2 blocks have the knock sensor on the side of the block
compared to LS1 or LS6 block that have it in the lifter valley.

• The cam sensor has been moved to the timing cover (requires
use of LS2 cam gear)
That is the timing chain right?
• LS2 knock sensors send a different signal type and are not
interchangeable with LS1 / LS6
Does this require a adapters or something to fit in a LS1 car?
• LS1 computer will control LS2 engine.
Does the computer need a flash/any type of edit or is it basically Plug-n-Play theory?

What else can I use from my LS1 that I can get by with for the time being?
What are some REALISTIC things to replace from the start so I don't have to break it down after putting it in the car?
Also why is the LS2 block cheaper then the LS1/6 Block?

Thanks for any and all help ahead of time.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 98 Z28 with an LS1. I just bought a SDPC 416 stroker shortblock. It comes with a different valley cover, different timing cover with cam sensor, and timing set(gears and chain). I am going to have to move my knock sensors to the side of the block. I had to order an extension harness for the knock sensors, but it all will work with the LS1 computer. Of course I will need a tune.

If you are planning on building an engine from scratch, it is hard to beat the price of these assembled LS1/LS2/L92shortblocks

The bore difference you are taking about is just that. There is no difference in deck height on standard LS motors. The bore is just bigger and therefore takes a bigger(in diameter) piston. Heads and cams are all interchangeable, except for the L92 heads. They require a different intake setup. Some of the bigger valve heads may not fit on an LS1 standard bore block.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Deeavi; 06-03-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

It almost sounds like you are just trying to swap the LS2 block in place of the LS1. If that's the case and the LS1 is stock, skip it because it wouldn't be worth the hassle. If you want cheap reliable power, consider adding some LS6 parts to your LS1 setup that includes the LS6 cam, intake and heads. Certainly not the biggest power making combo, but once installed it will easily outperform the stock LS1 and have the same driveability and reliability. Best part is you can usually find they pretty cheap used.

Otherwise here is some information.
I was looking through SDPC at there Bare blocks and seen a few thing I have questions about.

• LS2 blocks feature a 4.00" bore, LS1 / LS6 have 3.898"
The .102 doesn' affect the pistons out of a LS1, how is that?
You need different pistons for the LS2 because of the increase bore.

• Crankshafts, connecting rods, pistons and cylinder heads are
interchangeable between LS2 and LS1 / LS6 engines
Does the Cam also interchange or do I need a Different cam?
Cams between the two have limited interchangeability (word?). You can use a LS1 cam in a LS2, but not reverse because the LS1 has a small reluctor wheel on the cam itself for the cam sensor (located in the top rear of the LS1).

• LS2 cylinder heads are made from the same castings as the
LS6
So just get some new bolts and away we go right?
The LS2 uses slightly different headbolts (a couple are shorter). Make sure you get the correct ones.

• LS2 blocks have the knock sensor on the side of the block
compared to LS1 or LS6 block that have it in the lifter valley.
As mentioned above, you need the adaptor harness to extend the wiring.

• The cam sensor has been moved to the timing cover (requires
use of LS2 cam gear)
That is the timing chain right?
The LS2 cam sensor received it's signal from the LS2 timing chain gear. The LS2 cam sensor is located in the front timimg cover of the LS2. You need both to make it work.

• LS2 knock sensors send a different signal type and are not
interchangeable with LS1 / LS6
Does this require a adapters or something to fit in a LS1 car?
Yes. SPDC sells an adaptor wiring harness made by Katech.

• LS1 computer will control LS2 engine.
Does the computer need a flash/any type of edit or is it basically Plug-n-Play theory?
A LS1 PCM can control a LS2, but depending on setup may require some tuning. If you plan on running the knock sensors, for sure you will need to adjust the knock sensor values and tables.

What else can I use from my LS1 that I can get by with for the time being?
Do a search for parts compability.

What are some REALISTIC things to replace from the start so I don't have to break it down after putting it in the car?
Same as above.

Also why is the LS2 block cheaper then the LS1/6 Block?
The LS6 is no longer used for production vehicles.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

The whole reason I'm asking is cause I want a dependable powerplant. I can buy a LS6 service motor for 3grand and all that I need off my motor is the intake and accessories and its done. But before I commit to that I want to see if I can find something that will be just a dependable yet still have good options for upgrading when I get more money. I was thinking if I get the LS2 bare block for 1 grand from SDPC so that will save me some money and it shouldn't cost me no 2 grand in miscellanies parts should it? I have been looking through this forum to see what I can find but most is either 408s, LS7 or LSx questions and comments. If I choose to do this route instead of the LS6 this is a list of the stuff that I would need to buy also.

Pistons&rings(whats style dome flat or dish?)
New Bearings
Timing chain and cover
knock sensor extenstion
cam sensor
New Bolts for the whole engine.
Gaskets for whole engine.

Is there anything else that i missed?

Quick Reply: LS2 question for SDPC/anyone else