Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam gear compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam gear compatibility

I apologize if this subject has been beaten to death.

I would appreciate if someone could confirm cam gear configuration for those of us considering an aftermarket timing chain. My understanding is that the computer expects either 1 or 4 bumps on the cam gear. Knowledge of how many teeth are on the crank reluctor wheel defines the required cam gear; i.e., the 24X crank wheel system utilizes the 1X cam gear and the 58X crank wheel system will need the 4X cam gear. 2005 Corvettes use the 24X/1X setup and 2006 and up Corvettes use the 58X/4X configuration. It's not as simple as model years though, as the 2006 GTO uses the 24X/1X setup.

I hope this is helpful to some and would appreciate anyone letting me know if any of my understanding is wrong.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want me to confuse the issue a bit more ..... In Australia the 6.0L motor they call the L98 and the ls2 in the new VE range has a different sprocket altogether The timing gear only has 1 hole in it for a centre bolt to attach to the camshaft ! So you can't install a ls style of camshaft with it's original timing gear you need an ls7 timing gear with the 4 window gear and 3 bolt holes.

cheers

Quick Reply: Cam gear compatibility