Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Differences in LS2 and LS3

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Differences in LS2 and LS3

I am considering purchasing an LS3 block, and have been doing some research to determine the differences in the LS3 engine assebly and the LS2. What parts interchange and what parts are specific to the LS3? I have read that the heads/rockers, piston/rings, and intake are all different. For example, the rockers are offset, the piston's rings point upward slightly, etc (I know the bore size is larger for the LS3). I don't want to buy a block and then determine that it has so many specifc parts to it that it is uneconomical. I do not necessarily plan to build it to stock specs, if that helps.

Also, what is a good price for a new LS3 block?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LS3 blocks are for sale at Scroggin-Dickey for $1399..they are a forum vendor why don't you call them and ask them what you will need I bet that they know ...
Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing for sure is it is 20% stronger then the LS2 block with new changes made to reinforce the weaker area's. Pistons if you go with a full short block are better & stronger with the skirts coated along with better sealing rings. The wrist pins are new & light plus stronger. The rod bolts are of a all new stronger design to spread the load over all the bolt threads not just the top few. No more weak rod bolts. Even more small things. Corvette mag. on the LS3 went into detail all the changes. It will be one strong factory short block if you can get one. It may work out as a better deal.