Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Abnormal Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Abnormal Oil Consumption

Alright, I discovered something I think is pretty damn troubling. First, I will give you a little background.

The motor is a built LS2 402 with less than 7000 miles on it. I just installed a full manual 4L80e. It has GM out of box L92 heads, cometic gasket, L76 intake, LS7 oil pump, LS7 injectors, etc. It has the factory fuel pump still. The compression is 10.5:1.

About a week ago my "check gauges" light came on. When I looked down my e-brake light, ABS inoperational light, and airbag light were both on. My battery gauge was all the way over to the right. We have just had some serious flooding and I thought maybe driving through a pretty deep "puddle" may have messed with a sensor.

Well, when I restarted it later that day everything was fine. Then, as I was driving the 'check guage' light would come on again. This time, my SES light was on and my oil pressure gauge was going up and down as I changed gears. This was not on when I restarted my car.

This went on for about two days. I checked to see if all my sensors were plugged in well, they were. My battery is not moving or hitting anything. I checked my oil, it was where it needed to be.

I had my oil done at Wal-Mart and they used Mobil 1 and told me I didn't need it changed for 5000 miles. Well, it has only been 4000 miles.

The car has had weird spells where it drives like **** when I first start up. It almost feels like the tune is off or it is running to lean. If I go WOT on it for just a sec it seems to "flush" the weird idle out and drives fine again. I am fairly confident in the tune, Ed Wright of Fastchip dyno'd it himself.

Well, last night it was driving with that weird lean feeling all night. I thought I heard a tick noise-and I did-because over the next 10 miles it got worse. I stopped, checked my oil and NOTHING registered. NOTHING. I had my brother drive me to Wal-Mart, bought some oil, and it took FOUR FULL quarts. It solved the shitty drive and ticking problem completely. I have not seen the weird gauge problem since last night when I added oil either.

So, this is my question. It is not normal for a car to go through that much oil in 4000 miles is it? This is my first new, built motor and I did not know if the first few oil changes if it will use more or not. I had the initial break in oil, changed it to the reccomended conventional, after a 1000 miles I went with the Mobil 5000 mile between changes oil. Is it normal to go through that much oil and be that low after 4000 miles? If not, what could the problem be? I do not have a leak anywhere that I can see either. Thanks guys
Mitchell
Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You trust the guys at Wal-Mart changing oil to give you valid information about your stroker LS2? 4 quarts is a bit excessive for 4k miles, but if it's mine (even if it's a DD) it's getting a change every 3k at the latest, and fluid checks every other week.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

If your gauge was fluctuating I bet they did not fill it from the beginning.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

So should I just keep an eye on my oil level and listen for even the slightest bit of "tick tick tick" again or should I just bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic to look at? Everything is running fine now that the oil level is fine. Are there any chances that any damage could have been done? It probably had 100 miles TOPS with even the faintest 'tick' before I caught the oil issue.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
So should I just keep an eye on my oil level and listen for even the slightest bit of "tick tick tick" again or should I just bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic to look at? Everything is running fine now that the oil level is fine. Are there any chances that any damage could have been done? It probably had 100 miles TOPS with even the faintest 'tick' before I caught the oil issue.
Drive it awhile and pay close attention to the oil level & pressure.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your PCV system looking like? That would be my first guess as to where the oil is going - right in your intake.

-Geoff
Old 04-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it smoke when it runs? Do you see any spots where you park?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Your motor just might not like the mobil 1 oil. I burned 2 1/2 quarts of mobil oil in 2600 miles. I couldnt belive it when I saw how much oil I had to add to it. Thats what made me make the switch to German Castrol. I used mobil 1 for probably the first 20k miles on my car. Each change I would notice more oil being burned. I even took it to the dealer because I thought somthing was wrong with it and I had warranty left on the car and they said its fine. I switched to GC and it burns maybe half a quart in 3k miles. My last change was 3800 miles on GC with and it only burned half a quart. I didnt even put it in I just changed it at 3800. Thats actually the longest I've gone on a change. If I were you I would just change to another brand and see what happens. By the way you can get the GC from some Auto Zones and at ws6store.com Good luck!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

I have a new PVC system on the car, no smoke and no oil spots. It is running fine right now. Is there anything I should check on the PVC system? It was replaced on my old motor before this build but I would guess no more than 15-20k miles on it.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

your low oil light never came on?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:08 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
your low oil light never came on?
x2

4 quarts low is alot.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Teching In

I will say this, I would stay away from walmart for changing oil in the first place. Just what I have seen and experienced and no offense to walmart as a whole but there are to many inexperienced young kids working there . In the automotive and maintenance section that is. I would find another place to get my oil changed. Or at least do it your self. Just my opinion.....
Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are too many variables/unknowns to blame it on the engine at this point. Did you add the oil yourself while it was at WalMart? That's one BIG unknown! What rings are in the engine, and how many miles do they have on them (wondering about your break-in)? How many miles on the engine before you put synthetic oil in it?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by blkramair
I will say this, I would stay away from walmart for changing oil in the first place. Just what I have seen and experienced and no offense to walmart as a whole but there are to many inexperienced young kids working there . In the automotive and maintenance section that is. I would find another place to get my oil changed. Or at least do it your self. Just my opinion.....
wow, holy blast from the past batman, is there anymore info on this? Its been since April, anymore oil loss?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW...old thread. I didn't realize that when I posted!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

Hehehehe, it happens. I wonder what the original poster found out though ... just for information purposes.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just a thought I'd throw in. I've heard it's not a good idea to start brand new engines on synthetic oil. The rings never get "broken in" It's what my engine builder has mentioned. He said to start the synthetic at a later time.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

I will strongly recommend 2 things...

#1 Change your oil every 3000 miles MAXIMUM!! especially that you arent a stock motor!!!

id say change it every 2500ish miles and thats if you arent racing it all the time)

And #2 Take it to a better place than Walmart, please..

Quick Reply: Abnormal Oil Consumption