Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

I Am Stumped!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Am Stumped!!!

maybe theres someone here who can help me...my brains ready to explode

Heres what I got....96 Z28(bought it new)automatic, 5.7 LT-1

heres the problem...Last year, It would take a good 10 seconds of cranking to get it started. Once started it ran fine. If you shut it off for less than about 1/2 hour, and went to start it , it would fire back up right away. If it was longer than that it would take another 10 seconds of cranking.
Right before I parked it for the winter, the motor would die sometimes, but start right back up, and I was gettin some good vibration as well.I parked it for the winter, and was gonna deal with it in the spring(now)

Sooo, I go to pull it out a couple weeks ago and it cranks and cranks and wont start.So I put a new fuel pump in......still wont start..I have good fuel pressure at the rails.When trying to start it it will sometimes backfire out the exzaust or ill get a "huff" out the intake!! I love thowing money at problems.. so I put in a new accel optispark....still wont start. so I put in a new coil..."just incase" still wont start. I do have spark at the plugs so I think maybe its the injectors...so for ***** and grins I have my brother crank the car while I use a little starting fluid....nothing! How is that possile?I have air..
I have spark.... And i have fuel. If it were to start with the starting fluid than I know the problem would be fuel related(injectors, etc) but I am really at a loss here......Any one have a idea?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you change your fuel filter? sounds like theres excess fuel in the system after shutdown
Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's my guess, since its an LT-1. Have you checked the opti-spark distributor? Those were a source of many problems, and the storage may have worsened it since its a condensation issue.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He says he replaced the opti, i would post this in the lt1 section here to get more responses. fuel, air, spark and compression and it should fire. If you have spark then it should be able to run on carb cleaner, if that doesnt work either your timing is really off or you dont have compression.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the replys...I moved the thread over to the correct fourm.(sorry)
Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Oh, by the way 408tras_am,
I live in algonquin, which is only like 15 minutes away.
small world huh?