Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

100K mile LQ4 shortblock ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 100K mile LQ4 shortblock ....

Total newbie question ..
Summary: I am on a budget (family and all that)... have a 69 Camaro that needs a new engine ... can buy a 100K mile LQ4 for $1300 to start a build ... want a solid streetable car.

What is the wisest way to spend my money?

Buy this engine and have it cleaned/honed/checked/rebuilt, put on heads,cam,intake etc. for some more pep and basically have a new engine. I have never built an engine or have the tools to do so. or...

Buy one w/ fewer miles (50K) for $1700.. don't do any of the other work except put the heads on and change the cam/intake.

I have no clue how expensive it is to pay someone to clean/check/ and put back together a block. What does this usually cost? I don't mind spending money, I just do not want to waste money. Is there a wiser path to follow?

I could also buy already built up used I guess.

There is so much information here I get a headache. Heck I can't even comprehend 1/2 of the posts on this board. I am just looking for some guidance from others experience. Thanks for everyones time and patience with me.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you already have all the parts machining cleaning boring, honing, Balancing, and assembly of the short block usually runs 1000-1500$
Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u said u dont have the tools then i'd just go buy lower miles one so u dont have to mess with it.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

that seems expensive for a short block, I would shop around. I can get the LQ4 short block over here for about $350. Usually I make the mistake of buying something too soon because I have the money, then shortly after something else comes along... anyway you can do a budget build yourself. Take the block all apart, take it to a machine shop and have the bore checked for wear. If it's really close to standard bore you can have it finish honed and just put rings and bearings in it yourself with stock pistons and crank.. then decide what heads you want and all the other millions of choices you will have to make. I am doing kinda the same thing you are. I wanted L92 heads (caddy escalade) and was going to do the LQ4 bottom end, but i looked around and ended up finding a complete L92 long block for $1000 that had some damage but was repairable. Just make sure you plan well and think things through..
If your looking for a budget build and don't have alot of experience are you sure an LS swap is what you want? You could get a nice small block and just bolt it in and go and probably meet all of your goals.. well most...
Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all of the replies.. "Vintage" you make alot of sense. When you have the money you do tend to jump at things. I know an LS build is complicated .. I have done enough research to realize this. You see, this car is a car I have wanted since I was 15 years old (I am 38 now) and I don't want to compromise on a car I have wanted for over 20 years. They were getting so expensive I had to act and I have only had the car for a year. I know I do not have the skills to do everything, but I am pretty handy and with a little bit of guidance I know I can do alot of it. What I lack in experience I make up for in stubbornness (the American way right?) An LS engine is worth the trouble and expense - I am sure most here would agree.

I will search for a better deal on a shortblock and follow your suggestions. Does anyone here ever feel like they were taken advantage of, or have purchasing regrets - this is what I want to avoid and I am sort of relying on you guys since I don't have anyone else (none of my friends are into this sort of thing). I have read this forum for at least a year now.

So bottom line is - I appreciate anyones input. It sounds like I should be able to do a little better than what I am being offered. I am trying to learn enough to make educated decisions about what I want and where to spend my money. I am planning wisely (I hope) ...

Thanks again for everyones time to post.

Quick Reply: 100K mile LQ4 shortblock ....