Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 402 SES code-crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 402 SES code-crankshaft position sensor

Hey there, I have been having some issues with my motor recently and we checked the SES code and we got 4 codes all indicating the crankshaft position sensor. I originally thought the problems I was experiencing was from fouled up spark plugs, but I wanted to check to see if the crankshaft position sensor could be responsible for any of the following:

Every now and then the car will feel sluggish, almost like it is running on 7 cylinders or like its a 6 speed car going 20mph in 5th or 6th gear. It will typically go away if I open the throttle up for a second.

Upon ignition, the starter will drag for a bit with some backfiring before it will actually start-this has happend about 4 times.

Oil consumption issues. This car goes through oil pretty ridiculously. I am going to invest in a catch can setup but it is hard to believe that the lack of a catch can could use up 5 quarts of oil in less than 1000 miles.

Could all these be from the crank position sensor or might it only be causing a few of the issues? Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your issues sound exactly like mine. I just installed a 403 and have been trying to diagnos a Random Misfire (P0300), Oil consumption and power surges. It has much more in it, I can feel it! When cruising between 60-80 it feels and sounds like its on 6 cylinders until I mash on it, backfires when I tip in the throttle.
I recently installed a Cheap catch can that I had lying around, and it helped. I will deffinately invest in a quality product. Strokers are known for more crankcase pressures from my understanding.

Can you post the codes you are getting? Did you do a CrankShaft relear procedure after the swap?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you a couple issues. Is the tune specific to this setup, specifically is the IFR scaled correctly? If not this will usually cause an extremely rich condition that will send raw fuel into the cylinders possibly washing them out. Swapping the plugs is not a bad idea at this point. The backfire at startup almost sounds the cam sensor, but a code would set. Try swapping in a known good crank sensor and see if that helps. Otherwise you may have to perform the crank relearn procedure.

That is lot of oil consumption. Is there gas in the oil? I would check for leaks around the front and rear seals or any place obvious. Have you datalogged the car, if so what are you seeing?