Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Buying an engine from the J-Yard ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying an engine from the J-Yard ...

This might sound 1/2 ridiculous and all but I just need an honest answer before I go ahead and purchase this engine.

I found an engine local to me for $500.00 it's a 2002 LQ4 with 94K on it and I was going to use it to be built up to a 408. However the guy @ the yard told me that the truck was rolled and the engine will not start.

Will this engine still be safe to purchase? I can see how a couple of bearings might have been spun, but everyone here is far more knowledgable on this type of thing than I am.

Please help don't flame. I just want to make sure that I get a good core to be built.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Inspect it visually. Are any of the components attached to the engine visibly damaged? That would be a good indication of whether or not the engine was shocked or hurt by the crash (the brackets would like break before the engine block will!)

Since the 408 uses only the block, and none of the rotating assembly, you'll likely be just fine as long as there are no major issues to the block, which again are usually visible from the outside.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by DreamKA
This might sound 1/2 ridiculous and all but I just need an honest answer before I go ahead and purchase this engine.

I found an engine local to me for $500.00 it's a 2002 LQ4 with 94K on it and I was going to use it to be built up to a 408. However the guy @ the yard told me that the truck was rolled and the engine will not start.

Will this engine still be safe to purchase? I can see how a couple of bearings might have been spun, but everyone here is far more knowledgable on this type of thing than I am.

Please help don't flame. I just want to make sure that I get a good core to be built.

Thanks!
One question for u-can u afford to be down $500.00 if the engine is stuffed after pulling it down yourself-

I have had ove 50 damaged ls cars- really really bad-rolled-t/bone hard on the side-

t-bone dead on- no problem with any of the engines-

but i have wrecked a fire damaged ls before-now that was just a lost cause-

engine builder said by eye it look good-deep down it was warp to the **** house and was a throw-away

Maybe i am lucky-

Thats what i do for a living pull down damaged cars-

Thanks

Nick--
Old 09-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Default hmmm...

Thank you for your replies. I don't know if it's worth the risk now. But maybe i'll swing by the junkyard and take a look @ the truck / engine. Apparently they're both still intact.

Has anyone used an engine or block out of a rolled vehicle before? If so what needed attention?

FYI:
This engine is complete from t/b to oil pan with all brackets. I also think I could pick it up for 400 bucks. They're only asking 500 for it so it is feasible.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

My 408 motor was a dealer takeout. Sold the heads off it for some $ too. It is nice because you get all the little covers and stuff with it too. Plus I pulled my LS1 and sold it for $1000 as a complete longblock.

-Geoff

Quick Reply: Buying an engine from the J-Yard ...