Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

Gen V L83 oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gen V L83 oil pressure problem

Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
I've developed an oil pressure issue on my 2016 Silverado. 5.3L Gen V aka L83.
This is a low mileage truck, as in 28000 miles. But I've done a lot of work to it so warranty is not an option. Trying to fix it myself.
The issue is the oil pressure stays on the high side and I'm throwing a code PO6DA.
I've already done the obvious and easy stuff. Oil is new, I change it frequently and only use quality parts. It has the dexos approved 0w-20 mobil1, and filter is A/C PF63E.
I've cleared the code several times and it keeps coming back. Additionally I can see the pressure is staying high. ie...its supposed to drop at idle and it is staying 40psi to 60psi all the time.
I'm having trouble finding information about the oil pressure regulation. I understand it is a 2 stage system. Specifically I'm pretty sure there is a solenoid that controls the high and low pressure.
When I look at brake downs I can see a solenoid on the front side of the pump/timing cover, but I can not find a part number for it.
When I spoke to the dealership they look at me like I've got a screw loose, which may be true but I'm all I've got, and I need to get this fixed.
I can find the P/N for the solenoid for the cam actuator but not the oil pump.
Does anyone here know what the part number is? I would like to try changing the solenoid.
I believe the part is called an oil pressure valve solenoid.
Thanks!!!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Update for anyone that might be interested.
There is indeed a solenoid, it's called the flow control valve solenoid. The part is special order but is only like 20 bucks.
I decided to start pulling it apart before I ordered the part, and once I got into it I found a connector on the timing cover under the water pump out of sight and hard to get to, that the wires are broke. Almost looks like they were cut right at the connector, but I'm thinking what happened was these wires were stretched too tightly when the truck was assembled and after time they finally became fatigued and broke right at the connector.
Reason I say this is because the other ends of the wires are clear up into the harness and lack about 2 inches to reach the connector. Have to pull on them hard to make them reach. So if they were connected they had to be stretched very tight.
I'm going to have to solder some extensions to make them reach properly.
Anyway if anyone develops a code PO6DA might want to look carefully at the front wiring harness below the water pump, and behind the crank balancer area.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Did you solve you oil pressure woes?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Yes Got her all fixed.
Took the connector apart and soldered new wires to the leads. Then solder spliced them to the harness.
Light is gone and pressure is good.
Attached Thumbnails Gen V L83 oil pressure problem-brokenwires1-1165.jpg   Gen V L83 oil pressure problem-connrepair2-1166.jpg   Gen V L83 oil pressure problem-splice1-1168.jpg   Gen V L83 oil pressure problem-connector1s-1163.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I'm glad you got her fixed. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to take pics.
The following users liked this post:
Xlexustech (11-24-2023)
Old 09-29-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The photos really helped ..
The following users liked this post:
Xlexustech (11-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Gen V L83 oil pressure problem