Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

4.5 stroke in LS stock cam location

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 04:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.5 stroke in LS stock cam location

Has anyone used a 4.5 stroke in a tall deck block but with stock location cam? Rotating will now clear block but haven't tried a cam yet. Will a small base circle cam do it or what. Hate to buy a raised cam block if this can work. Anyone done this or failed at this?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:54 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by catman
Has anyone used a 4.5 stroke in a tall deck block but with stock location cam? Rotating will now clear block but haven't tried a cam yet. Will a small base circle cam do it or what. Hate to buy a raised cam block if this can work. Anyone done this or failed at this?
Yeah, a standard base circle cam is going to hit. What cam and connecting rods do you have?

My 4.250" crank just barely cleared with a .370" lobe cam and Compstar rods.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no cam yet but it will need to be around .475 lobe. I have callies h rods but have L10 bolts and can go to 2000 bolts if I have to but the block is clearanced for the L10's now. I would like to find someone who has done this. There may be some rods- high dollar for sure- that will help with this. I think I can gain appox? .140 with a small base cam but it still needs to be a.475 lobe. If I knew how much I needed it would be easier to see where to go. Thanks for reply!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by catman
There is no cam yet but it will need to be around .475 lobe. I have callies h rods but have L10 bolts and can go to 2000 bolts if I have to but the block is clearanced for the L10's now. I would like to find someone who has done this. There may be some rods- high dollar for sure- that will help with this. I think I can gain appox? .140 with a small base cam but it still needs to be a.475 lobe. If I knew how much I needed it would be easier to see where to go. Thanks for reply!
The closest I can think of is the 500ci LS2 build that SAM did a long *** time ago. They used an ERL block with the deck plates to make it a tall deck. The cam was small though, but I can't remember if it was a small base circle. I do remember that the rods were secret. No logo or anything on them, but I suspected they were Carrillo.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Camshaft Design

Hi All, I suggest a Copper Camshaft with Roller Bearings, Timkens.

I can design this camshaft as I have Andrews Products if Asked ?

My REASON is Lobe Size, the lobe of LS-x engines is Very Large causing HIGH Timken Speed with results of LOWER bearing life.

I have made Copper cams that have the lobe UNDER the cam minor diameter.

I KNOW ALL these cam "gurous" want a standard Base Circle, how DUMB.

The lifter travels inside the block/guide and with to great a Lobe Lift, it travels beyond the designed distance.

My common method is to "center" the lifters travel in it's bore as designed.

Then ALL state "new" pushrods are required, my guess is that the LONGER (reduced base circle) push rod would just cost too much.

Lance
Old 03-07-2018, 04:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ERL 500 was 4.500 stroke with 6.800 length Carrillo rods, The connecting rod's shoulder profile was done to Carrillo's "stroker" recommendation with 7/16 rod bolts.

The engine was modeled and run through 720 degrees with fine detail. Three cam lobes were identified as close. Comp ground some smaller than stock base circle cams that cleared nicely. Although reduced base circle, it was still bigger than many of the BBC lobes of the day and twist wasn't an issue. The lifter bores were bushed and redrilled to ensure proper flow to the lifter's oil band at all lifts.

Horsepower Research has a 527 tech'd out. You could speak to them about a rotating assembly and matching cam perhaps.

With the advent of the raised cam RHS tall deck with it's extra two chain links, the need went away mostly.

Last edited by TrickFlowTech; 03-08-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi All, I suggest a Copper Camshaft with Roller Bearings, Timkens.

I can design this camshaft as I have Andrews Products if Asked ?

My REASON is Lobe Size, the lobe of LS-x engines is Very Large causing HIGH Timken Speed with results of LOWER bearing life.

I have made Copper cams that have the lobe UNDER the cam minor diameter.

I KNOW ALL these cam "gurous" want a standard Base Circle, how DUMB.

The lifter travels inside the block/guide and with to great a Lobe Lift, it travels beyond the designed distance.

My common method is to "center" the lifters travel in it's bore as designed.

Then ALL state "new" pushrods are required, my guess is that the LONGER (reduced base circle) push rod would just cost too much.

Lance
I would call this guy. Serious

Quick Reply: 4.5 stroke in LS stock cam location