Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

VVT limiter or delete??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018 | 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default VVT limiter or delete??

At what point do you decide to delete the VVT? Is there a horsepower limit to running a limiter?
Old 03-05-2018 | 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think there is any particular limit, as far as power goes. But any VVT cam you buy should come with it's own limiter. IIRC, the stock limit is around 55*, which is CRAZY to me. This also means the cam isn't all that large to begin with, at least duration wise, which is what counts.

If you do push the limit of the VVT with a larger cam, then why bother with it? Unless it leaves you 20 or so degrees to play with in the tune, then I don't see why it's worth keeping in that situation. However, if done right, VVT lets you have your cake and eat it too, as in advance down low, and retard up high to get an awesome torque curve, that is tunable. That is pretty damn cool.

I almost wish my stroker had VVT. Almost... I'm almost maxed out on cam anyway. I'd only have like 5* to safely push it one way or the other, because then I'd be pushing the compression limit for 93 octane on the advance side.
Old 03-05-2018 | 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
I don't think there is any particular limit, as far as power goes. But any VVT cam you buy should come with it's own limiter. IIRC, the stock limit is around 55*, which is CRAZY to me. This also means the cam isn't all that large to begin with, at least duration wise, which is what counts.

If you do push the limit of the VVT with a larger cam, then why bother with it? Unless it leaves you 20 or so degrees to play with in the tune, then I don't see why it's worth keeping in that situation. However, if done right, VVT lets you have your cake and eat it too, as in advance down low, and retard up high to get an awesome torque curve, that is tunable. That is pretty damn cool.

I almost wish my stroker had VVT. Almost... I'm almost maxed out on cam anyway. I'd only have like 5* to safely push it one way or the other, because then I'd be pushing the compression limit for 93 octane on the advance side.
The reason I ask is my tuner is telling me over 700rwhp the phaser can walk. I have the engine back together with the limiter in there and he's telling me to put the lock in.
Old 03-05-2018 | 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

He might be right. That would be bad juju if it walks at WOT. I was unaware of that. Then again, lots of things can happen at 700hp lol.

I was going to add that too. There's less to go wrong on a good old gear and chain. Phasers can go out over time from what I've heard. Just ask Ford about it. They got sued for theirs failing at 25k miles, or less even.
Old 03-05-2018 | 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Above 6000 rpms the springs in the phaser have trouble holding it and tends to walk. That was a better explanation.