Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

hp limitations for 6.2 L86. and how my 5.3 exploded…

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 274 Likes on 190 Posts

whoops, i thought it was boosted. i should probaly read the hole thread next time.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
You can lean the **** out of an NA engine and it won't do diddly. A hard part failed... bad luck... poor assy... butted a ring, timing chain failed...etc... I'd just throw another $500 4.8/5.3 in and spray the crap out of it if you want more easy power.

Forced inductions always an option too. Way cheaper than a built 6.2. More power potential as well. The big motors HP per $ invested isn't there IMO. At least not around here. All the big bore used motors go for 2-4x what a small bore does. Unless you have the money to spare. And if that's the case, buy an aftermarket block... or a BBC.
I disagree that a 6.2 is that much more to build than a 5.3. You can find L86 engines not too expensive used now, and you’re starting with a lot more power potential as is stock. Heads/cam/E85 on a stock bottom end L86 and you can hit 500rwhp/tq pretty easily. Can also swap to an LT1/2 intake or MSD if you want to turn higher RPM.

I’m making 445/472 with a little low lift stage 1 truck cam, headers, stock untouched heads, and E85.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by kgkern01
I disagree that a 6.2 is that much more to build than a 5.3. You can find L86 engines not too expensive used now, and you’re starting with a lot more power potential as is stock. Heads/cam/E85 on a stock bottom end L86 and you can hit 500rwhp/tq pretty easily. Can also swap to an LT1/2 intake or MSD if you want to turn higher RPM.

I’m making 445/472 with a little low lift stage 1 truck cam, headers, stock untouched heads, and E85.
Feel free to disagree, but you'd be wrong.

For a couple reasons.

First is cost.

You aren’t getting an L86 for $300-500 which is what I’m paying for gen4 small bore motors. Then I sell the heads alone for $300-$400. Since everyone seems to think the 799/243 heads are gods gift to LS motors. Then I sell other parts I don’t need and basically get the motor for free, or even make money sometimes. I run the cheap $100 truck 706 heads no one wants on them.

You aren’t finding any big bore motor LS for that kind of money. Then you have the direct injection nonsense to mess with. You aren't’ making any decent power without upgrading that or removing it. Then you have the MUCH smaller and more expensive aftermarket to deal with on the newer GEN5 motors.

Don’t get me wrong the L86 is a better motor stock for stock. But not $ for $ when modding it. A cam for an L86 alone is about $500. That’s not including springs, lifters, push rods etc. You can pick up gen3/gen4 cams for as little as $125. Then put a china turbo or two with cheap readily available aftermarket ecu, cheap EFI injectors, and make real power.

Second reason is engine design.

Boost is the cheapest way to make power. Gen 5 motors like the L86 have thin rings and ringlands on the pistons. This makes them a poor choice for boost. They also have an 11:1 compression ratio that’s not exactly boost friendly.

Basically its 2-3x the cost initially and not suited for boost. Which is the cheapest way to make real power.
The following users liked this post:
gnx7 (03-04-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Feel free to disagree, but you'd be wrong.

For a couple reasons.

First is cost.

You aren’t getting an L86 for $300-500 which is what I’m paying for gen4 small bore motors. Then I sell the heads alone for $300-$400. Since everyone seems to think the 799/243 heads are gods gift to LS motors. Then I sell other parts I don’t need and basically get the motor for free, or even make money sometimes. I run the cheap $100 truck 706 heads no one wants on them.

You aren’t finding any big bore motor LS for that kind of money. Then you have the direct injection nonsense to mess with. You aren't’ making any decent power without upgrading that or removing it. Then you have the MUCH smaller and more expensive aftermarket to deal with on the newer GEN5 motors.

Don’t get me wrong the L86 is a better motor stock for stock. But not $ for $ when modding it. A cam for an L86 alone is about $500. That’s not including springs, lifters, push rods etc. You can pick up gen3/gen4 cams for as little as $125. Then put a china turbo or two with cheap readily available aftermarket ecu, cheap EFI injectors, and make real power.

Second reason is engine design.

Boost is the cheapest way to make power. Gen 5 motors like the L86 have thin rings and ringlands on the pistons. This makes them a poor choice for boost. They also have an 11:1 compression ratio that’s not exactly boost friendly.

Basically its 2-3x the cost initially and not suited for boost. Which is the cheapest way to make real power.
I was talking about picking up another used L83 vs used L86, assuming the L83 is what they had and blew up. I’m not comparing old LS 5.3 to new LT 6.2. In that instance, of course the 5.3 is cheaper. Boosting an engine gets into a whole other discussion as well. I’m referring to NA builds.

Quick Reply: hp limitations for 6.2 L86. and how my 5.3 exploded…