Group Purchase Requests Please post your GP requests here for the sponsors to consider them.

who can do my machine/piston install

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005 | 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Default who can do my machine/piston install

i dont trust any of the local machine shops.. all they have seen is 5.0 blocks and 350 blocks...

there all 70 year old guys and the ls1 is just too new for them.. they dont seem to know anything about it

so im prolly gonna keep the stock crank and rods, and just add in arp rod botls and forged mahle or je 3.903 ish pistons is there anything else i should do in the bottom end? im doing this so i can spray the 150 shot without worrying, and maybe a 200+ every once in a while when the rest of the car can handle it..

my delimma lies in that i im located near none of you... so basically i need to ship my **** to ya, get the install, and have it shipped back im guessing.. i would drive it, but i cant get a day off from college/work for a while

my zip code is 29680.. can anyone do this for me, give me my options, ruff cost of shipping/ parts/labor? i just dont think this is something i can tackle on my own
Old 09-10-2005 | 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this is out of the way but it's not really that far of a drive. I had my forged motor machine work done by Calvin Neighbors here in snellville GA. They build a lot of race motors and have been doing so for years (30+)Engine dyno, Sunnen equipment, etc.. They have put together quite a few LS1's.

I watched them assemble the short block, weigh everything, mill my heads, and watched them degree my cam in (which would have been off, if I just stuck it in).

RallyRedSS (KEN) has used them before for his shop.

I'll try and locate my receipt and get their contact information for you.
Old 09-10-2005 | 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

GMMG is only 3 hours away.

You can always plug your zip code into the search feature on the sponsor page with various mile amounts and see how far away different sponsors are. That will give you an idea.

Personally if you're going to forge the pistons, do the rods as well. I think they're just as much of a weak point on these motors, if not more so, than the pistons. Might as well save up some more money and do it the right way the first time and not have to worry about it.