2014 LS Fest = BEST EVER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Default 2014 LS Fest = BEST EVER!!!

Short version - 2014 was a ton of fun, and probably the most fun I've ever had at a race.

Long version - It all started Thursday when we drove from Chicago to pick up Anthony Manna's Drag Radial car which was down in Missouri. The chassis place down there was to go through the car and figure out why the car would move around during a pass (like go right all the time).

First we made a little detour and picked up Rusty G, who part of the Brian Black Team. We arrived Thursday night at 9PM. Picked up the car. Drove to Bowling Green. 3AM we pulled into the line that had formed in front of the track. Couldn't sleep.

Warm. diesel fumes. Voices. I cracked open my eyes. I felt like I just closed 'em. It was 7AM. Line was moving. I need to brush my teeth. Bad.

We get in. Rusty and I are tired. Anthony slept the whole way there, but after all, he has to race at some point.

Unracked the car. Found some track coffee. Powdered creamer, sits on the surface. That's fine. Still no sleep. Tech the car, bring it back. Constantly saying hi to longtime friends. Energizing for sure.

Make a hit a few hours later. Car is a handful. I need that shower even more. I feel like I'm greasier than a guy who works at a fried chicken joint.

Time flies by. I've lost count but I think I've drank a 6 pack of Mountain Dew. Impossible. Car is not working that great, still moves around as soon as the power ramps in. I'm frustrated, and Rusty is too. Anthony doesn't say anything but I'm sure he's ten times more frustrated, car has been doing this for a long time.

Following morning, we try again. We move some weight around. Car 60's a 1.19. Cuts a 3.18 at the 330. Nice. But it goes right and Anthony is forced to lift or he will make contact with the wall. 5.05.

We gave the MO chassis place a shot, strong recommendation. Nothing has changed. Doesn't feel like we can get past this. Frustration is written all over our faces, only now we are joined by longtime buddy Jimmy D and his brother Mark and Anthony's cousin and they rapidly lose their enthusiasm too.

We talk to Eric with Midwest Chassis, mostly waiting for him to point out that something needs to be re-fabbed and that it can't be done there and then.

He jumps into action. The guys borrow scales from Mark Carlyle (thank's again amigo), set the entire suspension loose. Redo it all. I'll spare you guys the profound details but a few issues are found. The threads on one part of the anti roll bar are damaged. Not adjusted properly since there was so much resistance from the screwed up threads.

Reset everything.

We make a Q2 hit. Car goes 4.7@165. Smiles. We are back in the hunt.

We get ready for the last hit. 7PM. Sun is going down, and it's getting cooler. Anthony launches and the car comes up a little and then the nose comes don real fast. Rear tires spin. We moved too much weight around. He's still able to pedal to a 4.99.

The ladder is set for Sunday. We draw Koehler. He's had a tough weekend, had to pedal it some one a pass and knocked the tires off on another. Q4 has a steering linkage issue and ends up scraping the wall. But apparently it's all cosmetic. He is pulled the staging lanes by Dave.

Eliminations. We move some of the weight around. Feeling pretty tense.

Both guys stage, then go. Anthony runs 4.71 to Mark's 4.68. The weekend is over for us. We stick around for the next round. Relieved that the car runs straight for the time in a year, but bummed we didn't make it to second round.

I find out 30 minutes later that Anthony is told he can make a test hit behind the next round. We have a team discussion and decide to try some stuff. Mix of everyone's ideas. Jimmy and Anthony on some power, Rusty has some thoughts about suspension. What the heck, might as well try some stuff.

Dang its hot, feels like 85F again.

Anthony burns out, we line him up. He stages. Perfect launch, he gone. Looks like he's finally going to run 4.6's.

Yeah baby:

Smiles, weary smiles. Car is finally coming together. Time to pack up and get ready for the next race.

Last edited by Pro Stock John; 09-09-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Here is a shout out to all the folks who showed up to race or show their cars. Great to see all you guys. Track worked pretty good despite hitting a high of 142F track temp. Lonnie chaired a racers meeting on Saturday that was highly productive.

Drag radial and Real Street were both hard to call. Carlyle wins over Brown, who's won more races than anyone else in the entire history of the class. Falcon trees Delaney but Delaney comes around him on the big end, 8.04 over an 8.14. All Motor, Baskin couldn't cover Judson.

And all the other guys who races and showed. The great displays by the vendors. The autocross and drift racing was great to watch. The autocross cars look so dang good and the drift cars really hang it out.

363 days to go to the 2015 LS Fest.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty cool event for me as a first timer....definately in for next year!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super cool to have met you finally.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

I agree it was the best one since its the only one I've been to lol.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 LS Fest = BEST EVER!!!-20140907_100419.jpg  
Old 09-10-2014, 07:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a great hit by Manna, we watched from the stands. It was a good time for sure, had lots of fun with every one there.

Here is my story...Green Machine

We arrived at 4:15am on Friday morning with very little rest, and a new car. We had only 3 failed attempts at getting down the track at Norwalk prior to this event (spun at hit every time). We had 2nd gear leave now to work with and I started over on the shocks. First hit it actually went 60ft out then spun! Good! I was pretty happy with this as the suspension appeared to work as it should.

2nd hit (5th on the car) with more power applied before 60ft 1.3 3.2 4.78@159. Awesome now we are having fun!!!

3rd hit more power to the 100ft mark, 1.26 3.11 4.705@159. Its Friday night and its Miller time!!!!

Sat, what a struggle spun on the hit on both attempts darnit, back to the drawing board.

Sun, left on very little power peddled at 2.4-3.8 seconds in the run and finally let out at 3.88 headed for the wall, 4.77@150.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good seeing you again John!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a lucky weekend, got to the final by 2 breakouts, 2 single's, and 2 red lights. Then car spins off the line in the last round lol. I had fun racin and hangin out with everyone.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nmass399
I had a lucky weekend, got to the final by 2 breakouts, 2 single's, and 2 red lights. Then car spins off the line in the last round lol. I had fun racin and hangin out with everyone.

Great job getting to the final Nic, too bad you spun I was pullin for ya, that was a bummer. See you in Indy!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yeah Nick I saw your pass, better luck in Indy.

TJ it was great to see you guys get Gary's car working, 4.70 in 6 passes is well, awesome.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

I had a lot of fun for my first time at LS Fest.

Nice racing Nick. No matter how you get there, you were in the finals. That's all that matters.

See y'all in Indy.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks John, looking forward to Indy and going a little quicker now. So are you picking my Dad up? Hahahaha.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yeah Tom Sr. called me yesterday and we are making plans. He's a little hurt that you didn't pick him up from the police station and post bail.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I struggled with traction and tuning (which now in hindsight looks more like I am running out of fuel pump). My best pass for the weekend was in first round of Rumble with a 9.04 at 154 mph on a 9.00 bracket. In second round of the Rumble I broke 7 teeth off my 3.08 ring gear to end the weekend.

In True Street I ran a 1st pass of 9.47 (slowed with the exhaust capped) but 2nd and 3rd passes I spun. Consolation prize was wining the 10.0 bracket in True Street.

Next year with a few small upgrades I hope to have an 8 second average in TS... Hopefully it will be slightly cooler. Just maybe?

Found a little coverage from Super Chevy:

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/events/140...#ixzz3DRip9w00

Last edited by Chevy406; 09-16-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Very cool, man. You were pitted a few spots down from me. I saw your car and wanted to come take a look. Seems when I had time you weren't around and when you were, I didn't have time. Sorry to hear of the breakage...
Old 09-20-2014, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Pete! thats got to be you Hey bud its Mike Doyle, I was parked right beside you in the yellow 2002 trans am we had pizza thanks to you had a blast talking and hanging out with you we should have swapped emails and numbers i saw the stats from the eliminations on sunday and you did awesome hope this gets to you and your doing good holler at me
(cant believe we didnt take a single picture all weekend! thats sucks lol)
Old 09-21-2014, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Hey, Mike. It was cool hanging out with you and your family. Too bad we both broke. I hope your trans isn't too bad off.

Thanks for the hat!

Maybe see you at Indy? Deff see you next year at the Fest!

Quick Reply: 2014 LS Fest = BEST EVER!!!