Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Howdy from TN

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Howdy from TN

Hello, I'm currently restoring a 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo(pics soon). It needs tons of work all around. Major surface rust, the body is straight though and nothing is rusted through. The car came stock with, and until recently was equipped with a 3.8l v6, electronic carb(WTF?), THM-350c transmission, gear ???(any idea?), and also, a sticky @$$ steering wheel.
On the tranny subject, does anyone know of a way I can still use this locker type torque converter with success? I've heard they are bad for failing and ruining tranny components.
I am in the process of rebuilding a 305ci sbc that I pulled from a 1983 Z/28(for the Monte). Reason being, the camaro was ragged out, wrecked 2,000+ times, no title, ect...
I would love to make some decent horsepower with this 305(any ideas??). I know this is a difficult thing to do, but I plan on going with a bbc later on down the road.
I put the 305 back together with the stock crank and rods, Comp Cams 292H Magnum cam, I plan on using the hump heads that came stock on this engine, double row timing chain, as for intake/carb I have no clue yet!
Anyway, sorry for putting so much info in this post. Hope none of you are thinking: lol
Old 08-21-2010, 04:49 AM
11 Second Club

Welcome. Where in Tennessee are ya? Went to school in Knoxville.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah where you from???

The 305 kind of sucks IMO. Although if you're on a very tight budget and had a 305 that ran good, more power to ya. Definetly an upgrade over that v6 with the POS electronic carb. I bet that v6 had more vacume lines than one of those crazy *** machines off the Matrix.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Hahaha ya loads of vacuum man. I'm just trying to get it running so I can get it to the body shop and make it pretty right now . Then I'm hoping for a rat motor . And 00MaroonZ28 I live about 20 minutes away from Knoxville man! What a small world huh? I'm assuming you went to UT?