Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy from Tucson AZ! **Pic Inside**

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default New guy from Tucson AZ! **Pic Inside**

Hey guys. I知 new to the forum and looking to get into the LSX community.

When I was 16 I had a Dodge Stealth TT @16 psi. It was a very fun car. I raced a kid when I was in school who had a new (at the time) SS, I bogged it off the line but passed him like he was standing still. After it spun a bearing I got into offroading and purchased a few Jeeps. 89 Cherokee lifted locked and very slow, and a 02 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. I lifted it and put larger tires on it. It was a very clean and fun car. I just sold it and now I知 looking to get an LSx based car. Be it a Firebird, Camaro or GTO, I like them all.

I test drove a 02 Firebird WS6 with 120k on it. This is the first one I have ever driven and it felt very slow. It was lowered with Corvette wheels, the motor was completely stock. I don稚 really have anything to compare it to but it felt about as fast as my Grand Cherokee when it was stock. I was very disappointed.

I知 still looking for a car out there with my name on it. Hopefully I will find it soon.

Here is a pic of my old Jeep.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome. If that ws6 felt as fast as your Cherokee then somethings wrong. Either it wasnt running right or possibly it was just a ws6 clone and it was a v6. Either way you should be able to tell the difference.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

I’m not stupid enough to mistake it for a V6. It had flow master mufflers and sounded very nice. We looked under the hood and inspected it very closely as one of the accessories was noisy.

Remember I said “Felt” it doesn’t mean that it was. Maybe it simply felt that way as it was lowered on stiffer springs. A lifted Jeep exaggerates acceleration with softer suspension (making it feel faster than it is).

Here is the listing http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2165381203.html

I’m thinking it is fine and my sense of speed sucks.

Also can I ask your opinions on the car? Both door panels are cracked in the same spot. He said it was a common problem. He said he would think about taking $9k if he removed his aftermarket stereo. Would it be worth it then?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very common problem, both of mine are cracked on my 01 WS6. Be sure to check if it's a real WS6, look on the inside of the driver side door, where the RPO codes are located. Make sure it has the WS6 and WS9 codes to ensure it is a real WS6. Other than that it doesn't look too bad. 120k miles is a bit steep, I'm sure you would be more satisfied with a lower mileage F-Body.

See if he has the stock rims, those Corvette rims a a little to big IMO. 9k seems like a fair price for a Black on Black 02 with that many miles on it. They're really great cars. And if it feels slow to you, throw on some bolt-ons and wake the car up. These cars run low 13's stock, and break into the 12's no problem.

It does look a bit low though, 2in is a big drop, and I'm sure it makes the ridereslly uncomfortable. It may handle good but I personally think that may be too low. Especially If you want to go with longtubes down the road, there will be some big clearance issues.

Overall it looks like a decent car, but I think you should be patient, and wait for a cleaner and lower mileage car. Doesn't sound like the guy in the ad knows much about cars, since he said "the SLP tips make it sound good". Lol. But good luck with the car hunt, just take your time and the right one will come to you. And feel free to post up the other ads of cars your find so we can give them a look!

Last edited by LS1rob00; 02-16-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

There's plenty of people out there who have bought a v6 version thinking it was a v8 it was just an idea. I don't know your knowledge of f-body's that's the only reason why i said that. That car looks pretty clean to me, im not too sure what they normally go for in your area but for 9 grand you might be able to find a lower mileage ls1. Someone who lives closer to you can give you a better answer. But for an example take a look at this.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/2214421468.html
40,000 miles less and he would probably take 7 grand cash.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

Wow. Thanks for finding that one. Seems like a much better deal.

As for my mechanical experience. I installed both lift kits with jacks and jack stands on my Jeeps, rebuilt and re-geared the front and rear axles in my Cherokee, rebuild the bottom end on that TT stealth, and a bunch of other stuff. I like to think I have allot more common sense than the average soccer mom. But then again I could be wrong .

I’m going to check that one you posted up, as well as look for a better deal than the WS6.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Max78
Wow. Thanks for finding that one. Seems like a much better deal.

As for my mechanical experience. I installed both lift kits with jacks and jack stands on my Jeeps, rebuilt and re-geared the front and rear axles in my Cherokee, rebuild the bottom end on that TT stealth, and a bunch of other stuff. I like to think I have allot more common sense than the average soccer mom. But then again I could be wrong .

I知 going to check that one you posted up, as well as look for a better deal than the WS6.

Thanks for the help guys!
No problem man, just like the other guy said take your time until you find the right one. Most of the time there's always going to be better deals out there. It took me a long time to find the one i wanted. Good luck and welcome again.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, it took me about 8 months to find mine. I would personally just go with an 01 or 02 F-Body. A couple differences that are worth it. They have the LS6 Intake, which is about 10-15 more hp. The stock exhaust manifolds are also different, and flow better than the 98-00. There are some other small differences as well, but overall it's worth paying a little more for a newer one!

This one looks decent: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ctd/2155138841.html

Last edited by LS1rob00; 02-16-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Launching!

I'm also in Tucson but got my car in IL, welcome to Tech!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

Well thanks for the warm welcome .

I contacted a friend that knows people in the racing scene and he is going to try to find me a good deal on a high HP vehicle.

So hopefully he finds me a deal on a built LSx before I find a lesser one I like.