Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Selecting a project car for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 AM
JJR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Selecting a project car for a newbie

I've been reading alot of the advice on this site and it's really informative! I must give props to the forum techs on breaking down the jargon to Layman's terms. My situation is this:

I am turning 30 in October and want an LS1 Camaro\TransAm. When I was 18 I had a friend that let me drive his 2000 Camaro Z28. I loved this vehicle. It was the fastest car I'd ever driven. I couldn't afford it, until now. I drive a 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ and while it's a great daily driver with a turbo, it's not a modded out V8 that I can drive on the weekends.

How do I select the right used LS1 Camaro\TransAM from the newspaper or Autotrader.com? Look for relatively low miles? Color wouldn't matter to me because I'd like to design the color scheme and layout of my vehicle anyway. What should I pay for this theoretical LS1? If I find one in good shape it can run $5000. I suppose my real question is how do I select an LS1 project car?
I always loved the look of the T\A but the Camaro is a true classic. Does it matter which model I choose if the parts are interchangeable anyway?

My goals are simple. I'd like to have an LS1 car that will get 400-450 horsepower and will smoke any modded "rice burner" or Cobra that dares pull up beside me. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im new here to and am learning things for a future ls swap in my 73 nova... im not sure on price and which is better but have you looked in the classifieds section here? good luck with your project im sure you will have others chime in soon