Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I've been lurking a bit since one of my friends let me drive his Z28 and I've decided to sign up.

So, about me... I'm 26, born and raised in England and last May moved to the States to marry an awesome american girl. My car history back home is pretty typical, the highlights being a Peugeot 205 GTi (like a little rally car, loved lift off oversteer), VW Golf GTI (stuck to the road, but the oil-water cooler broke and made it so it was never the same again) and a Peugeot 306 XSi. Everything 2 litres and lower, but all had an important thing in common, Manual Transmission.

Then getting here, I've really only rented cars in the US, from boring Nissans and nice but kinda boring Impalas and Malibus, all the way to new Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers, which sound great and corner so much better than Top Gear alluded to "oh muscle cars can only go in a straight line", but their auto transmissions just took so much away from the driving experience.

Despite having my UK driving license since I turned 18, I have to take a road test for an NY State license, so on the 14th, I'm taking my test. Then, a couple of weeks ago, my friend let me drive his car. The first time in a year, I had a clutch pedal under my left foot, and it was connected to a monster of an engine and since then, I decided on the car I wanted!

The only thing is, the best insurance quote I got from Geico online for a 2000 Z28 is $509/month! That and car payments would still be less than what I've been paying to rent a car every weekend though, so it could be worth it.

Anyway, sorry for the novel of an introduction, but hi, hopefully I'll be driving a Camaro in the near future!

OK, so I paid for a driving school's car to use next Thursday and just looked on 21st Century insurance and they quoted me $450 a month with comp and collision which makes it a little easier to swallow! I also looked at insuring the Focus that a family member has said we can buy cheaply, but that came at $460 liability only, which doesn't make much sense to me! 3.7 extra litres should make the Camaro more expensive... Weird.

Just have to hope the Camaro is still there later this month (and hope I pass next Thursday, gonna practice my parallel parking this weekend. Do 50 or so parks and I should be fine for that, for some reason, flipping around the steering wheel and not having the control of a clutch made me struggle a bit, plus there are parking bays everywhere, so I didn't have to do it too much)...
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Welcome to LS1Tech! I am new myself but I've been a Firebird fan for a lifetime. It was one of my first matchbox cars and I've been hooked ever since.

Besides, the welcome, I have to say I have never ever seen an insurance quote that high! What is your driving record like?!?

Lastly, I love Top Gear, but they are biased as hell. I'm guessing Dodge and GM never sponsored the show but I can tell you what color Jeremy Clarkson's kneepads are: Ford Blue.

Anyway, welcome. Hope you can get a piece of the American Dream!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks Nighthawwk, my record seems to be nonexistent in the US. 18-25 with no accidents, points, or parking tickets, but it looks like it is reset to me being a new driver... I feel like just sucking it up and if it's going to be like that on either car, I'd rather the fun one! There's only one way I can get a driving record here, and that's actually driving with a US license. The theme of getting here (legally) has been to let the government effectively take my savings from me!

Do insurance companies do no claims discounts? Or do they just base prices off of age/location/years with a license (and all of the other important factors the make us believe they use)?

I don't know so much about the Firebirds, just that I love having a manual transmission and a V8, rather than the auto transmission in what feels like everything else here...

Yeah, Clarkson is a Ford/Ferrari boy.

At least fuel isn't $9/gallon here!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Well this forum is a great place to read up and learn. The info on these boards could fill a library but remember the search function is your friend here. Insurance companies do offer discounts for no claims, generally after 6 months or so. Sux to hear about your costly move but at least your in a better place now People will try to get your money any way they can. Thats a human thing I believe not specific to America.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by steev182
Thanks Nighthawwk, my record seems to be nonexistent in the US. 18-25 with no accidents, points, or parking tickets, but it looks like it is reset to me being a new driver... I feel like just sucking it up and if it's going to be like that on either car, I'd rather the fun one! There's only one way I can get a driving record here, and that's actually driving with a US license. The theme of getting here (legally) has been to let the government effectively take my savings from me!

Do insurance companies do no claims discounts? Or do they just base prices off of age/location/years with a license (and all of the other important factors the make us believe they use)?
$450 a month is ridiculous, call around to other insurance company's and get a better quote.
I don't know so much about the Firebirds, just that I love having a manual transmission and a V8, rather than the auto transmission in what feels like everything else here...
FYI Firebirds are the same things as Camaros, they just have different bodies (like the DSMs for example)

Once you get your hands on a Camaro search around here for good info on mods before buying anything, these things respond ridiculously well to simple things (lid, headers, ORY, catback = 40-50RWHP gain).
Also to meet your handling needs look into the Koni shock/Strano spring combo, you won't believe you are driving the same car...
Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome to the US pal! I agree, that insurance sounds incredibly high. Hope you get your camaro soon as these cars are tons of fun!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I'll be calling around before getting insurance.

I did another search for coupes with V8 motors, manual transmissions made between 1999-2007 with less than 60,000 miles on them and under $15k and the best car on there was the one I saw first! I'm going to take a look at the car next Thursday, alrhough might go and take a look on the weekend as it isn't too far away.

Regarding modifications, I was thinking of starting with subframe connectors, suspension and better brake pads/rotors. I'd also like a decent headunit, as the rental cars spoiled me with Bluetooth and SiriusXM!

When I've looked at handling, I'll take a look at headers, filter and cat back, what's ORY?