Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new firebird

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new firebird

hey i just bought myself a 97 firebird LT1 in need of some TLC. the front main seal needs replacing and i have smoke coming out when i accelerate. but it doesnt happen everytime. i cant tell if its white or blueish. the car doesnt overheat and the oil and coolant levels are fine with no bubbles and no foggyness. its confusing the hell out of me. im gonna do a full seal and gasket swap since the car has some miles. any advice on the smoke and whats the easiest way to get the heads off without breaking my back or frustrating the hell out of myself.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LoL good luck on the no back breaking part if you remove em BUT You can get a complete rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts for around 500 bucks & can save what you dont need Use it on another motor Cause youll want a 383 or 396 sooner or later lol You can get the tools to change valve seals & springs in the car without removing them Find a set of LT4 hot cam springs then your good to atleast the hot cam All the timing cover seals need replaced 3 of em & since your there replace the Cap & Rotor, Plugs & Wires since your there Also clean the Opti sensor & replace the water pump ITLL cost way more BUT Save you in the long run Been there done that Learned the hard way & then had a buddy that didnt listen either lol He done all of it eventually
Old 08-05-2012, 01:58 AM

so whats the easiest way to change the valve seals with the heads still on? if thats possible lol
Old 08-05-2012, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome OP! Youll get more answers in the LT1/LT4 section. Is the car stock? how many miles?

To get the heads off, i would remove the engine if you have room. I made the mistake of trying to remove them with the engine still in the car.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:51 PM

yeah i figured i might have to do that. damn.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM

so i took off the TB...the inside of the intake manifold is as black as night and so was half the TB. maybe thats where the smoke's coming from lol