Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New WI Z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New WI Z28

Hey people who actually read the noob introductions. I have been a guest reader for some time and have finally decided to join up... probably because I finally bought my z28 and need to start buying parts. Anyhow I bought a project, but its not a dd so that will be good.

About me:
I am a car guy. I have my favorites of course but I definitely appreciate all cars assuming they are built with a purpose. I love to go fast and have spent a little time with my previous car at the track... for those from WI I have been to Road America and WIR. Not often because at that time it was my daily driver I was putting through the ringer. I would say I am an internet wanabe mechanic. I know very little but follow the advice of many on forums like this probably to a fault. I probably wont post much on here because I imagine just like the saab world most all the information is just a search away. So that said hi and probably bye unless your selling something cool maybe I'll try to buy it.

Previous fun car:
Saab 93 turbo, I swapped the turbo for an upgraded version, added a front mount intercooler, some big injectors, turbo back exhaust, and several iterations of tunes. Long story short my car was happily making about 265whp and 330wtq which ended up not being enough so i decided to try to go E85 which was great until the added hp cracked 2 pistons, and the super tq detonated my transmission. It was fun while it lasted but I learned a lot about the need for supporting mods. While i did everything myself I have never actually tore into a motor. I want to someday and maybe with my new camaro that will be the one. But right now it scares the little brown nuggets out of me thinking of doing that myself. Perhaps when I have some guiding help I'll take that on.

My Camaro:
94 Z28 LT1

Current mods all done by previous owner and we'll see what is real and not.
1. actual tune up: new plugs, wires, opti, injectors, fuel filter, battery, K&N filter, and oil is fresh. This I know was all actually done.
2. dynomax catback - Ok I hate this exhaust and will hopefully replace it soon. The sound is aweful, the tips are about 4 inches from actually reaching the bumper, and it is not stainless... its turning brown.
3. Ported/polished heads - I have no idea if this is true. Previous owner said the headgasket went and was replaced with the supposed headwork and waterpump. who knows.
4. Gears - he said it has 3.73s the posi. All i can tell is that I smoke both the rears like I actually have money for new tires, which i don't.
5. LS1 SS style hood.

I have a lot I want to do to this car.

My goals are to have an extremely well handling car at a low cost (the cost is for a later goal not because I am trying to be a cheap a$$)
Second goal - great sound
Third goal - fix the bodywork. I purchased this car for a grand and it needs some body work desperately. I hope to do the work increase the value have some fun for a year or so while doing it and sell this thing. Why sell? So i can complete my 4th goal... which is to buy a fbody with a MT6! and if I have enough money make that MT6 a LS1.

Projected actual Mods:
New exhaust I like GMMP but can afford Magnaflow so thats what I'll be looking for used.
ORY im from WI we don't care for cats.
Seats I NEED new front seats and if im doing it they might as well have big bolsters.
Used spring/shock combo because I can't afford new. Lower an inch or so
Strut brace, swaybars, TQ arms, panhard (if i can find these used and good price)
Sell to get MT6 once bodywork is done and lookin good.

Thats about it. Thanks for all the info on this site I am glad there are car people out there willing to share their knowledge!

Quick Reply: New WI Z28