Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to LS1s in Kansas

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New to LS1s in Kansas

Hello LS1sters from one of Kansas' best HS Chemistry & Biology teachers (Go Evolution!)

I have done a lot of reading so that I can make future improvements on my almost flawless 2001 Corvette Convertible, and I have a lot of questions. It has a K&N filter & intake that I doubt was worth the money someone paid for it. The filter has no enclosure and there is a great distance between the MAF and the throttle body. It does have a great Corsa exhaust system although a bad back has prevented me from crawling under this machine to check it out, but that's temporary. I think I accidentally kicked the driver's side seat controls off their mount while I was incapacitated. This should be an easy fix, they still work. The passenger's side door lock works only sometimes, and the dual climate control **** on the passengers side free spins. When I bought it from my Mother-in-law she said the suspension controls were questionable but could not explain further.

I bought a Hypertech tuner and found out the passenger's side AIR valve was probably responsible for throwing a code. I made the code go away with the tuner and some gasoline additives and have not seen hide nor hair of the code since. I think I need to put another tune in because the engine temp generally runs over 212 degrees. I should probably put a 160 degree thermostat on first. Right?

These are all small things and the car looks practically brand new with only 46,000 miles on it.

I want to bring the horsepower up to about 400 without taking the whole thing apart. I understand that you can install a new camshaft by taking off the valve covers, radiator, front pulleys and accessories, and the front cover. It is tempting to put new heads on but this is expensive and I do want to maintain the low end torque. If I do put in a new cam I might do a careful and mild porting job on the heads myself (used to do it years ago on my GTO) but, I have no experience with aluminum. Is it worth it to take them to a shop? Or are they too young to bother with. Some other things I've considered:

New 2-piece (FAST?) manifold with 92 cfm throttle body, but only if I change the cam and I can get a fly by wire TB.

Can I keep the manifold I have (I understand its the same as on an LS6) and improve flow with the addition of another aftermarket throttle body, or should I just fix this cold air intake mess by fabricating a tube that places the MAF close to the TB and actually brings cold air into the manifold?

Yes, I do a lot of research and thinking, I'm trained to do so. But, I haven't had my head into fast cars since the days of 455 Pontiacs and 350 Chevys that required no PCM. Comments and suggestions are welcome. And I hope there's a bunch of motor heads out there that I'll grow to love.

erufle

Long tube headers, but this has to be difficult engine in body or out.

Quick Reply: New to LS1s in Kansas