Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to LS1's, new to LS1 tech!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1's, new to LS1 tech!

Hey, so I recently picked up a 1998 Z28 Camaro so I can viciously rob it of its heart and put it in my Nissan 240sx... Sorry to all the F-body fans for this heart breaking news. Hahaha. Honestly, I love these 98-2002 F-body cars, so don't worry. I'm not ripping apart a perfectly good Z28 and sending it to its death. The chassis will be going to a good home and will be well taken care of.

I know that the 97-98 LS1's were looked down on, and had their own issues, but honestly, for a full running LS1 swap with a T56 attached to it, I'm perfectly fine with what I bought, for what I bought it for. But, coming from a large history of Japanese cars and engines, the LS1 is new territory for me. I've done quite extensive research on the motor before buying, and I'm confident that what ever I can't find from the sources I've been through, I will be able to find answers here.

Hoping I have better luck with the LS1 in my car than I did with the many KA24 motors that have come to me, been pulled apart to find they are junk, and replaced. I drove the car home after it having sat for months from about 120 miles away, and the thing never missed a beat, had a TON of power and more torque than I could need in the middle of winter. So signs say, I will have plenty of luck for the coming year.

Thanks for reading!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Welcome fellow Massachusetts'er, whereabouts? I see a few 240's here in Lowell haven't heard one with an ls1 though. The motor is a beast I love em, and it will pull harder in the lighter nissan. I want to swap my fox mustang over to a lsx eventually
Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. Sounds like a good plan. There are a few downsides to the early engine but I don't think they're that bad. I think the on difference in the blocks is the rear where the rear cover meets the two main oil passages. On newer blocks the area is open between the passages and the older ones it's not, but people have ground a channel between them to connect them. I've also noticed my early LQ4 is the same way, I don't know if the later LQ4s had that opening like the later LS1s did.

Everything else is stuff that can be upgraded along the way anyway.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Banned

youll love the LS1 engine for sure! welcome and there are a few people in here that have done what your wanting to do so give this thread some time im sure they will chime in after a while.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Teching In

awesome project!! share plenty of pictures!!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Welcome!!!!!

Quick Reply: New to LS1's, new to LS1 tech!