Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Starting an LS MX5, in MN

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting an LS MX5, in MN

Hey guys.

Started working on this project in my head a month or so back. Then, started putting numbers on paper. Started looking at parts in the last month, and found my rear end just recently. Parting out the old stuff, and hopefully over the next year, we will get this show rolling.

Background: Car is a late model MX-5, 2005, the last year of the older bodystlyes (na 90-97,nb 99-05). It was factory turbocharged, then upgraded to a modified original turbo. After that, I ran an aftermarket system w/standalone to make around 300hp. At this point I feel the v8 swap is the best option to improve power, and likely reliability via eliminating the turbo/standalone system.

My plans are loose, but coming along. I'd like to run the 8.8 Mustang rear differential setup. There have been tons of people using this system. A few have built their own mounts and control arms, utilizing the stock cobra or lincoln spindles and hub. This allows you to use the 5x4.5" bolt pattern. My intention is to try to do this setup, vs the 1500+ modified axles/hubs that the kit companies seek for their stuff (not including mounts?!).
Here is an example photo:

Stock Mark VIII spindle, cobra hub, miata subframe, custom axles, from a gent on cardomain/miata forums.

For the trans, I'd like to run a T56 w/M6 gear set, SSR shaft upgrade, and the 3/2 cone syncro upgrade. Most likely a corvette hybrid of sorts, but we will see.

Engine is going to be an LS2 at minimum. I'm going to do my best to wait it out till a good opportunity comes by for a motor. Who doesn't want an LS7, but that's going to be a tough one to catch, as I'm doing my best to stay on a budget determined by parts I'm selling from 2-3 other projects. I'm consolidating all my other crap into this car instead, leaving me my DD. The likely combo will be something like an ls2/ls3 l92 head setup. I'd like to make at least around 500hp, we will see though. The miata chassis can be made to handle it, but its not easy.

The front subframe and transmission mounts will probably be kit items. For the time and effort, the V8 roadsters front subframe, trans mount, and frame rails are hard to beat. This will be the starting point, and I'd like to do a frame brace of sorts after everything is installed to further keep the car together with this power.
Butterfly Brace:

Those of you in the know, know I haven't really said much. I know what I want to do here, but I've got an enormous amount of research and a lot of small problems to figure out along the way before I'm at the end. I'm starting by fabbing up the rear subframe, diff, and control arms first. Next I'm going to build a transmission, followed by the engine/subframe. Last will come wiring, and hopefully a painless first start. Exhaust is going to be done by the same guy who did my turbo. He's one of the best fabricators I've met. Great guy, and the prices are reasonable as well.

Happy motoring everyone, I've read tons here and I'm excited to be part of a highly technical forum with one hell of a knowledgebase.

Quick Reply: Starting an LS MX5, in MN