Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Cheers all

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheers all

Old timer attempting to learn some new tricks.

My project is a 1947 Buick Roadmaster sedanete. (aka, fastback). Although I enjoy the charm of the Buick's straight 8 (I-8, reference), and mine runs fairly well, it is a low powered beast that gets very poor mileage and has the carbon footprint of a clown shoe. Upgrades of the I-8 are very costly due to a poor cylinder head design, and even with spending a boat load of money the reliability is questionable. The balance of the drive train is rugged enough, but sadly very dated. Non-syncro 3 sp trans, torque tube drive housing (sorry corvette guys) and a 4.11 rear dif. with almost no gear options, all make for a irritating street machine.

Progress: I have a doner truck with a 6.0 L engine. I think I can salvage several systems out of the Escalade to swap into my Buick. I already have the power seat system modified. Fuel system, A/C system parts, maybe PS, are all on the "look at" list. The 47 is apart and soon will have the body removed from the frame. My example is very rust free, (high initial cost, and some good luck), and a very complete car in general.

I expect and hope to find a "Hot Rod, LS swap section" that will help me sort out the do-dads I need from those that I don't need. Sure hope I can get rid of a few miles of that wire.

My history: Back in the 60's I street raced a small block Mustang. It took me several engines to learn how to keep the valves from kissing the pistons, but eventually the cars just got too fast to safely race on any roads other than the interstate. (back then we raced full Quarter miles) At about the same time, "Street Cars" were showing up on trailers, with slicks, and open headers, and no license plates. It was a new game and I could not afford to punish my daily driver to play the new game. Anyway, we had a War to stop.
I currently have a 72 Vega hatchback with a 383 stroker motor and a lumpy camshaft that keeps me feeling young. 15x15's in the back and skinnies up front.
Thanking you all in advance,
Jim
Old 02-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

Glad to have made it among the ranks of an LS owner. I signed up for this site because my 2008 Grand Prix is somewhat of a mystery to me. Most of the mystery lies in the acquisition or sources for parts. This means in short that finding parts for this car is a very, very, exhausting process. At this time for me. I am in need of parts sources regarding the 2008 5.3 fwd LS-4. I spun a rod bearing and need to find either a good re builder core or new parts source for a rebuild of the existing core. I would much rather keep the numbers matching feature in tact. Any help would be soooooo very appreciated.

Quick Reply: Cheers all