Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

newbie from texas

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie from texas

Ill get to the point.. i have a 1998 TA that i have unfortunately blown a headgasket on and will now need some work. Since i have to open it up i think its time to upgrade and im not sure what i should do. I wanna get the most power out of it as possible and i am planning on purchasing a d1-sc or possibly a f1. My question to yall is what would be my best route to go? Use my ls1 block and buy forged 347 or 383 kit, buy a ls2 block and build from there, or buy a lq4/9 block? Im planning on starting this within the next month or so. Thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Welcome to the best sir ever!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome! You didn't mention the mileage or condition of your car besides the obvious blown head gasket. Also, what mods are already done? First real question that you need to answer is:

What is your budget?

Then:

What is your goal?

And:

Doing the work yourself or paying to have it done?

Answers those questions and others will be able to give you a decent answer. If you budget for great heads, modern design cam, and a 383 stroker kit you'll still need a new oil pump, want a new water pump, LS6 or bigger intake, all gaskets, pushrods, new lifters and rocker arms if you can't re-use stock ones, etc etc. Factor in a power adder and the mods to hold and put down that power and you're probably better off buying a built car unless you have a bank account that can support dropping $20k or more on your "old" car. At that point you still won't have fresh paint and interior or whatever else the car may need.

Just trying to be realistic with you. If you don't sit down and price / add up every mod that you plan on doing you'll be far from realizing what the total cost is.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:03 PM

Right now as the car sits it is stock with about 150k miles . Im shooting for a low 10 sec car maybe reach the single digit club if possible. Ive got about 6k-7k to start the build and know it will get up to the 15k range but i dont wanna put all the money into the ls1 block if it will not get me to my desired goal. Thats why i wanna get some opinions on where to start. What i do know is i will be going forged internals to support the d1sc and possibly a small shot of nitrous. I know it will get pricey but id rather cry once and get it done the right way. And i will not be doing the work a local performance shop will be doing the build. Right now i am out of state and would like some opinions so when i take the car in i can have an idea of which route to take. Thanks -jacob

Quick Reply: newbie from texas