Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

NEWBIE looking for info and tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool NEWBIE looking for info and tips

Hello, first I would like to introduce myself. My name is Brandon and I am currently living in Cedar City, UT. I recently retired from the Marine Corps after 20 years and am going back to school to finish my bachelor's degree and get my helicopter pilot certifications.

I recently acquired a 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula V8 (6 spd manual) from my dad. The car has been used pretty heavily for autocross (SCCA) and road rallies, so she is pretty abused even though she has been serviced regularly. She needs a new clutch kit and the pinion nut is in need of attention, differential leaks and the axle seals have started to seep. Everything is stock, except the wheels and shocks and here is my question:

This car is going to be used for daily driving (hopefully get her looking pretty again) and occasional autocross. Should I just fix everything and leave it stock or should I upgrade the rear end, and if so to what? And money is an issue since the wife (soon to be ex) still takes a good chunk of my discretional funding.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just fix your leaks until she-b-gone then spend on upgrades. sounds like its done ok for its age. when you get figured out how you want it to be go for it.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks.

Fixed the leak from the rear end and the pinion seals. Dunno whether there was a miscommunication on my part or if I just didn't understand. The retaining bolt is stripped and the tranny shop recommends replacing the rear end vice just the pinnion shaft (no telling what other damage has been done in there).

Next job...new clutch kit and figure out why I am getting a sulphur-like smell (maybe a bad seal in the diff housing?).

Man, this is addictive. I have had this car for over a month and still get excited when I get behind the wheel.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have the exhaust convertors checked as they could be bad. Or engine maybe running to rich and your smelling gas being burnt in exhaust.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Default Now I think I done it

Okay. FUll story first. I bought a used Formula V8 (94). It had been sitting for quite some time but seemed to run well (other than needing a new clutch). Even ran it at an SCCA autocross event. Drove it from Tucson, AZ to Cedar City, UT (>8 hr drive). Ran well for the next month or so. Took it in had the rear-end seals redone and then had the clutch replaced.

Drove it to St George (@45 minutes away) for my VA appointment. It stalled before I got out of the town on my way home. I knew the fuel pump was going out since I was having to prime it before starting. Got a tow truck to take it back home where I replace the fuel pump. Started fine, no priming needed. Ran fine, no discernible problems. I even made another trip to the VA with no problems.

Drove to Las Vegas, had a good day and started heading home. Stopped for dinner coming back and she started to sputter when I started her up. Got about 60 miles and she stalled out. Started back up after about 10-15 minutes on the side of the highway. Got past Mesquite and into Virgin River Gorge and she stalled again (scary stuff). This time, she was very reluctant to start and had to sit for almost an hour. Finally got to within 36 miles of home and she stalled a third time, this time she would not restart at all.

Replaced the ICM and the fuel pressure regulator Now she starts...then dies after about 5-10 seconds.

I was really hoping to have her running b now, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. I am afraid I may have done something in trying to get closer to home and now she isn't happy with me anymore.

Help, I am perplexed.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Cool This seems to have fixed it

Well, now don't I feel sheepish.

Replaced bad fuel pump and the car ran fine for a couple months. Then all of a sudden I couldn't keep it started for more than two or three seconds. It sat all summer, which was a bummer. I really wanted to take my son for a spin while he was here after graduating high school.

I got some money saved up and had it towed to a shop where they tried to troubleshoot the problem (and a few other minor things). After two weeks, enough was enough and they couldn't repeat or diagnose the problem. I took my green beast home and she ran fine, I even drove her down to Tucson and back (1600 mile round trip) for Thanksgiving with no trouble at all.

I got back on the road to catch a train from Tucson to North Carolina for Christmas, and I almost made it. SHe stopped dead just outside Wickenburg (about 60 miles north of Phoenix). I came back from an uneventfull, yet gratefying trip to see my kids and got straight to work replacing the fuel pump with the plan to trouble shoot why she is going through fuel pumps like candy. After replacing the pump, she still would not start. Now my dad and I started some serious troubleshooting (should have done this first, but hey, we already figured out the problem...).

Purge unit...check, fuses...check...relay...ummmm, shouldn't that be getting continuous power? Checking the wiring schematic and noticed something. One of the lines was labelled "To anti-theft system". Huh, let's try the spare key. Started right up and now I have an extra fuel pump. Turns out, the chip in the key was worn out and the anti-theft is wired through the fuel pump relay.

Now I am just driving her around to see if that was the only electrical problem.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so funny now but hindsite is 20/20. glad you and the beast are back together.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE looking for info and tips